Active Topics

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Ropesend View Post
exec ./user/MyDocs/documents/initfs_flasher
drop the 'exec' part, exec command is not doing what you think it does, it replaces current process (i.e. shell) which is not what you want.

so either it should be something like

Code:
/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/initfs_flasher/initfs_flash
or

Code:
cd ~/MyDocs/.documents/initfs_flasher
./initfs_flash
Also I take for granted that you already extracted the archive (tar zxvf initfs_flasher.tgz)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Fanoush' Web site/download location (http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#initfs) appears to be down. Is there an alternative? Is the tool small enough someone could attach it to a post?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Thanks for letting me know. This is free hosting so I don't know when it will be available again. Here is backup site
http://fanoush.webpark.cz/maemo/initfs_flasher.tgz
http://fanoush.webpark.cz/maemo/#initfs

Not everything is up to date there, I will gradually update what is missing. If you want something and link doesn't work, PM me.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-01-04 at 14:06.

Help step 6

After downloading the file from

http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/initfs_flasher.tgz

and
in xterminal

~ $ sudo gainroot
# cd /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/
# tar zxvf initfs_flasher.tgz
# cd initfs_flasher/
# ./initfs_flash

Type "yes", if appropriate, to make sure everything works correctly.

When i extracted the file from the tgz file i thought i would be the same as if i used winrar on my vista box. It is not must be extracted with "# tar zxvf initfs_flasher.tgz" in terminal (shell). The # indicates that you must be in root mode. The above code is for file extracted in document folder.

Last edited by Ropesend; 2008-01-04 at 22:13.

After following the instructions on the maemo.com wiki to partition and format the 8gb internal SD card - making sure the FAT partition was first on the card - I followed the excellent instructions at the start of this thread.

I had upgraded my N800 to OS2008, so cloned that 2008 to the card, and all booted properly. (I also installed KDE on that SD card)

I decided I didn't like OS2008 so back to 2007. Reinstalled initfs as per Fanoush's instructions so I could dual boot again and behold! 2007 on flash and 2008 on the SD card.

I can now test ethernet networking but still have my preferred OS as the every day environment. Happy happy!

The chances of a flasher to update the SD card are probably slim, but that would make my day complete.

Zebee

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Zebee View Post
After following the instructions on the maemo.com wiki to partition and format the 8gb internal SD card - making sure the FAT partition was first on the card - I followed the excellent instructions at the start of this thread.

I had upgraded my N800 to OS2008, so cloned that 2008 to the card, and all booted properly. (I also installed KDE on that SD card)

I decided I didn't like OS2008 so back to 2007. Reinstalled initfs as per Fanoush's instructions so I could dual boot again and behold! 2007 on flash and 2008 on the SD card.

I can now test ethernet networking but still have my preferred OS as the every day environment. Happy happy!

The chances of a flasher to update the SD card are probably slim, but that would make my day complete.

Zebee
Is anything NOT working, re 2008Os booted from SD, e.g. is the wifi working?
Do you now have as much space as you want for program installation?
Thanks

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-01-06 at 17:58.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Is anything NOT working, re 2008Os booted from SD, e.g. is the wifi working?
Do you now have as much space as you want for program installation?
Thanks

bun
No, the wifi isn't - I thought it was, but was wrong. (I was having wifi problems that morning, so thought the lack of proper connection was my base station)

Reading other threads, it seems I'd have to reflash the initfs in the boot loader which makes sense - the equivalent of remaking the initrd I guess. Pity it isn't possible to have two and select the right one in the bootloader itself rather than having to reflash.

Yes, I have heaps of room to install things, I installed KDE for example. I am not that interested in 2008 I find it considerably nastier to use than 2007, so will probably work out how to use it so I can experiment with emergency wired networking, but otherwise use 2007.

Zebee

Originally Posted by Zebee View Post
No, the wifi isn't - I thought it was, but was wrong. (I was having wifi problems that morning, so thought the lack of proper connection was my base station)

Reading other threads, it seems I'd have to reflash the initfs in the boot loader which makes sense - the equivalent of remaking the initrd I guess. Pity it isn't possible to have two and select the right one in the bootloader itself rather than having to reflash.

Yes, I have heaps of room to install things, I installed KDE for example. I am not that interested in 2008 I find it considerably nastier to use than 2007, so will probably work out how to use it so I can experiment with emergency wired networking, but otherwise use 2007.

Zebee

Well, you are more luckier than I. I just ran into problems despite the fact, I have done this more than a dozen times.

I was able to gather everythings ready for the clone, except partition of the card.

I start out with a 8G HCSD card. The card was new but was able to be read by the iT, I did the sfdisk partition with following #49 size, it gave "re-read partition failed, pls reboot" and my 8 g card is not able to be read by anything now, PC or Linux.

I tried another card, 2G card, not HCSD, same problem, "partition failed..." This one was interesting, the Fat partition worked and was able to be reformated under window. Now I am scare, $80 is at the stake. I may as well be quiet for awhile. very sad...........

My system was working perfect, with 4G/4G, now I dont know any more.

bun

I re-do the 2G card, it said "command to re-read partition failed, reboot system before using ...."

now what?

bun

Well, I think I need help on this partition thing. It is getting weird.

I do a cat /proc/partitions, and found out that it still reads the int SD card as 1.2G vfat and .8 other partition, so I took the chance and follow thru with ./nupgrade.sh 0-4, and now it boots from mmc, and here is the cat partitions image,

The strange thing, control panel/memory does not show any free space, and file manage shows a corrupted/unformated int SD card. It recommends repair, but it cannot repair. I tried to format via thru file manager and failed. So, now 2 G int mem SD becomes a dedicated MMC booter, nothing else. Can somebody explain to me what is happening? I still think the partition is a problem.

Mil, could you please kind enough to walk me thru those partition meanings, thanks.

I do know mmcblk0p1 is int mem card partition 1 and mmcblk1p1 is ext mem card partition 1 so on so forth. I think i partition the int card to 1.2 G vfat but did not go thru the format procedure. now can I format via a PC or cable or card reader or just )*()*^ scream?

thanks in advance,

one more, I notice upon w95 partition, codes 6 are fat16, and code b are fat32, what is code C? mind to list the whole thing, thanks.

wifi works and got 500MB to install pgms, a happy/sad events.....

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-01-07 at 12:42.