Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
When you look into the detail, Jolla has just finised the long and exhausting part of porting the whole of Sailfish OS from 32 bits to 64 bits.

Up until now we had 32bits ARMv8 used by nearly every smartphone port (and 32bits 486-like Atom used by the tablets). Sony Experia X is the first ever 64 bits CPU (an ARM64 one).
In the community we already did the work for 64bit arm devices, this was before the work on Sailfish X had even started and was mainly pioneered by Ghosalmartin for the Nexus 5X (bullhead).

The userspace will still be 32bit and indeed that is a feature because there are no aarch64 compiled apps around for sailfish at all.

The things that are missing on the Sony Experia X are very specific to *that* platform (getting the drivers to work and plugging them into the users space to work - they "just" need to get BlueZ5 working).
Bluez is fine, its the kernel HCI driver with the broadcom based BT chips which I already warned Chen against.

The main problem is going to be drivers
The main problem is *always* the drivers, and also the specific android base used to interface with those drivers which Chen probably won't get a huge amount of choice on anyway.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
In the community we already did the work for 64bit arm devices, this was before the work on Sailfish X had even started and was mainly pioneered by Ghosalmartin for the Nexus 5X (bullhead).
I've completely missed this port.
Thank you for enriching my knowledge.

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
The userspace will still be 32bit and indeed that is a feature because there are no aarch64 compiled apps around for sailfish at all.
Well, that's sad.
I was hoping for a full 64bits support.

- Lots of 3rd party apps are "noarch" anyway (QML + Javascript, mostly - same package regardless of the CPU arch).

- Supporting Aarch64 is basically just adding 1 more available target on their OpenBuildSystem compile farm.

- We need multiple archs due to Atom's 486/IA32 anyway

- There aren't that many 3rd party apps with binary code anyway, compared to Android or iOS. Lots of them are opensource and even if the original author is unavailable, someone else could easily fork the repo and recompile.
Only the few closed-source apps, with a binary component, whose dev is unavailable, and that will need a Aarch64 recompile would be affacted by the switch.

its the kernel HCI driver with the broadcom based BT chips which I already warned Chen against.
Let's hope that by the time of Livermorium, we'll manage to find a way to get it working.

I haven't been paying much attention, is the bluetooth core inside Experia X anyway related to the core in chen's selected PCB ?
i.e.: will the work that Jolla will need to put into Sailfish X's bluetooth driver benefit Livermorium in anyway ?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Anyone know when moto mod is estimated to be completely delivered?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
According to the IGG page

Shipping date of the first batch of product has been moved to September.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
- Lots of 3rd party apps are "noarch" anyway (QML + Javascript, mostly - same package regardless of the CPU arch).

- Supporting Aarch64 is basically just adding 1 more available target on their OpenBuildSystem compile farm.

- There aren't that many 3rd party apps with binary code anyway, compared to Android or iOS. Lots of them are opensource and even if the original author is unavailable, someone else could easily fork the repo and recompile.
Only the few closed-source apps, with a binary component, whose dev is unavailable, and that will need a Aarch64 recompile would be affacted by the switch.
There's practically zero apps that install on the Jolla Tablet for this reason, nobody bothered to build for it. Indeed at some point Jolla is going to have to let the community support unmaintained apps on Harbour because sooner or later a Qt upgrade is going to break them. and there's also Alien-Dalvik to consider in this equation.

But so far Jolla hasn't said anything about building or supporting fully 64bit sailfish, and I would expect that they would let us community porters have it first for testing before rolling it out as a fully supported thing.

I haven't been paying much attention, is the bluetooth core inside Experia X anyway related to the core in chen's selected PCB ?
i.e.: will the work that Jolla will need to put into Sailfish X's bluetooth driver benefit Livermorium in anyway ?
No idea. My point from mentioning it was basically to say that its a hardware specific problem and mostly likely irrelevant for the Chenphone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Soon?

(Sorry OT and bad joke...)

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland

When I was discussing the GCC update during one of the Mer meetings, Jolla seemed most concerned about those closed-source applications.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
@Chen: Are you planning to update your signature with this here project any time soon, or perhaps are you waiting for your Moto mod to be done with ?

There *might* be people that read your posts on other threads and don't know about the "Chen[s]phone".

The more the merrier.
Strength in numbers.
All that...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by British View Post
@Chen: Are you planning to update your signature with this here project any time soon, or perhaps are you waiting for your Moto mod to be done with ?

There *might* be people that read your posts on other threads and don't know about the "Chen[s]phone".

The more the merrier.
Strength in numbers.
All that...
Yes thank you! I will need to deliver this Keyboard Mod first.

I have decided to take the time longer to make the product as good as possible, instead of releasing in a hurry. It's about 85-90% of my "ideal product" at the moment but I want to make that 100%...

Once Motorola formally launches this Mod, and I start fulfilling the supporters in IGG, I will close the Keyboard Mod campaign and formally move to this one.

But because of running late with keyboard mod I don't think we can make the hardware end of year anymore. But won't be too long. Building this device (not inc. software) isn't more difficult than Moto mod and I know exactly what to do...

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I have decided to take the time longer to make the product as good as possible, instead of releasing in a hurry. It's about 85-90% of my "ideal product" at the moment but I want to make that 100%...
Be careful on that! The last 20% usually need more effort than the other 80%. It might take ages or even kill your project as a whole. Especially if your aim is an "ideal product".

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen