Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
what about the height?, good luck trying to reach the top left/right corner of the screen on the S8+.
NP. There is an app for that!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
NP. There is an app for that!
moving the screen down via software is not a solution, that just shows how stupid the screen size and aspect ratio is.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by NX500 View Post
There is one thing I noticed.

Chen mentioned the device will have (a) 2.5D glass/screen.

But the rendered devices appear to have an flat screen, enclosed by round edges, the same as the Jolla-phone.

Are these renders just not final, or is the decision itself, about the device, having a "true" 2.5D screen not final?
What exactly is a "2.5D" screen?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The device looks very nice in the renderings.

However I do have some concern on the mechanicals; I have had E7 before, and have on one occasion had the privilige to hold @eekkelund's N950 in my hands and in both of those there is the same difficulty.

The slider mechanism is fairly difficult to open even with 2 hands, and pretty much impossible to do with one hand, even when you have dry and warm hands.
With cold/sweaty/greasy hands it gets even more difficult.

I have almost dropped those while trying to push open the cover to get to the keyboard!

Now it may be that I am just a mämmikoura and not nimble enough to handle such techniques but I hope this will be both easy to open and firmly closed when required.
It works differently than N950/E7. N950/E7's slider angle is fixed, and user has to lift the screen edge from the rear (from my experience) to make it easier to slide out. In our perspective, this has some disadvs:
- Can not change angle. I recon some will prefer the flat screen
- Hard to slide out, as juice pointed out above
- Not robust enough, the screen was dependent on a single stand/arm...

So we have re-designed the slider part (in Moto Mod, will be the same in this device) that when you slide out keyboard, it will be flat. After you reach the end, the user can stay with flat screen, or lift the screen up to the angle you are comfortable. This solution will solve all the above problems. Hope that clears.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
There is one thing I noticed.

Chen mentioned the device will have (a) 2.5D glass/screen.

But the rendered devices appear to have an flat screen, enclosed by round edges, the same as the Jolla-phone.

Are these renders just not final, or is the decision itself, about the device, having a "true" 2.5D screen not final?

I'd welcome the decision of having a regular 2D screen with round edges, though..
Because I like to put screen protectors on my phones, which wont really work, because screen protectors dont adhere onto round glass edges.
It also/hopefully means, that there is less glue used in this device...
The screen itself is flat, (compare with Samsung or BB Priv's curved edge screen.)

2.5D screen should be 2.5D glass, if I caused some confusion. The edge side of the glass will be curved to match the design of the phone.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Lift the screen up? That sounds like a weak spot. Cool, but how will that work after 100 times?

That's where the screw and the screwdriver would be handy

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
What exactly is a "2.5D" screen?
As far as I'm aware all that means is the two sides (of the glass) (right at the edges) are ever so slightly curved.

Last edited by nh1402; 2017-08-25 at 15:41.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
The screen itself is flat, (compare with Samsung or BB Priv's curved edge screen.)

2.5D screen should be 2.5D glass, if I caused some confusion. The edge side of the glass will be curved to match the design of the phone.
I see.
On the renderings it almost looks like the glass is completely flat but seamlessy descends into the curved bezel and frame, e.g. Jollas first phone.

Thanks for clearing things up!

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
As far as I'm aware all that means is the two sides (right at the edges) are ever so slightly curved.
Correct.

Most prominent devices with 2.5D glass are the newer Samsung Galaxy Phones, with their curved AMOLED screens and Apples current iPhone lineup with flat LCD screens, whose bezel's glass edges are slightly curved.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Most prominent devices with 2.5D glass are the newer Samsung Galaxy Phones, with their curved AMOLED screens and Apples current iPhone lineup with flat LCD screens, whose bezel's glass edges are slightly curved.
Don't forget the beautiful N9. Of course, that was before it was given the flashy marketing term.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen