Active Topics

Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
- What would take ages is implementing ton of protocols over IR (file exchange, etc.) but I don't know if those things are still relevant in 2017 (seriously, are they ?)
http://lirc.org/ would be a good start. It already handles about any remote control types. For file exchanges and other unusual things, then a dedicated third party app would be acceptable, and in no way should delay the release.

There maybe are things to leverage from the N900 which had such an IR port it seems (I don't own one), like this : http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37655
but looking at this thread it looks like even the N900 doesn't have irDA, so no file exchange possible : http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44217

Chen, not that it matters to me, but are you preparing IR for use as a remote, or with irDA to allow higher level protocols like file transfers (which I never seen on any electronic device I own...) ? And would it be bi-directional (to allow recording ?) ?

Also, and maybe more importantly, what resources do you have for software development ? I understand that Sailfish would be sub-contracted to Jolla, but if you are to release also a basic AOSP version, by who would it be done ?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Are you guys seriously asking for file transfer via IR? At this rate, how many other people do you think that you will ever see with this device in real life?

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Are you guys seriously asking for file transfer via IR? At this rate, how many other people do you think that you will ever see with this device in real life?
It would be nice to transfer between this and N900...although the latter only has trasmission, not reception. Back to the drawing board...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
It would be nice to transfer between this and N900...although the latter only has trasmission, not reception. Back to the drawing board...
Uh, you could also use bluetooth or wifi, which are both faster...by a lot..

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I stand corrected, didn't realise it was working on so many devices.

Wicked. Definitely interested in following the development efforts, is there a thread for that & general discussion?
not yet, no. I'll start one when it gets to that point.

Last edited by nh1402; 2017-08-15 at 13:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Please don't mistake people asking Chen what is plans are, with expecting him to change his plans...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
It's called "thinking outside of the box".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NX500 View Post
Uh, you could also use bluetooth or wifi, which are both faster...by a lot..
But what if, uhh...someone is jamming the wifi! Or we're in an environment where radios are required to be turned off. Maybe? I'm sure there must be some conceivable reason for it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
It's called "thinking outside of the box"
I'm not disregarding your comment; however this is a well traveled and previously failed "box". IR support was great before Bluetooth and NFC. I mean, hell... let's put tubes inside of it while we're at it. Those were great!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
No. Not really.
Therw was some gigabit IR tech talk a few years back but I'm not sure that it got somewhere. But good ol' IR is useless for data transfer for the last 15 or so years.
Unless you like to torture yourself and still use 33.6k dial up modem.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen