I posted in the newbie forum but have had 40 views without a single reply - perhaps here is more appropriate.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=5482

I've managed to install a shell, by looking at the app list on maemo.org but that's about as far as I've got. The link on there to the give root access app is broken.

It's been such a long time since I touched a unix computer that I've forgotten even the basic file system so I'm lookng for a really basic primer, followed by some N800 specific configuration info (to give you a clue the systems I used to work on all that time ago used to support up to around 30 users and had far less power and storage than an N800...) GUI wasn't even available as an add on...

I have no idea how to install an app that comes in an archive - unless it has an installer I'm clueless. I'm actually quite competent when it comes to Windows systems - I support a number of Windows Small Business server networks, just finding myself out of my depth and keen to learn more.

Tim

Posts: 316 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, US
I am not a nix person either... but, I know you can install Xterm to get to a terminal window, there is the maemo wiki you can read, there are teach yourself unix books/sites, there is a way to become root (whatever that means)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Sorry you're not getting the help you need, Tim. I'm suspecting it may be due to your problem having already been reported in 2 other threads.

Maemo.org has had issues for several days now. I'm not sure why. I can only hope someone is working on it, because I haven't been able to download or install anything for a while, either.

I'm sure I'll get there, and I'm sure I'm not the first person who's faced the steep learning curve. I've been working with Windows since version 2.0 so can work on it without thinking about it. I only worked on Unix for about 6 months all those years ago and haven't touched it since so it is almost like being asked to learn a foreign language from scratch and not being able to find the dictionary!

I did remember the basics: cd, pwd, ls -l, and su (but can't get root access yet!), and have the odd bits of the file structure floating back into my consciousness.

It's going to be a fun voyage of discovery though - I'll have a look through the Wiki and see if that starts bells ringing.

Tim

I posted a short list of some Unix commands in another thread some time ago:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...18&postcount=9

This site's wiki is far more useful than the maemo.org wiki for new users looking for a "getting started" guide.

Tim

Yeah, and that's more or less (passive aggressively) by design. Nokia wants the user/developer community to provide the larger base of support. There's merit to the approach but significant drawbacks too. There are some dots yet unconnected but I remain optimistic the sketchy infrastructure will continue to be filled in.

Tim -
If you haven't already found it, check out this link:
http://schmots.blogspot.com/

I'm also new to the Linux/N800 world, and found it very helpful. There's a certain satisfaction in getting xterm running, and getting to the root.
Tom

Thanks,

I found the information on dual booting on this site's wiki and that is my next project. The blog does fill in a few of the gaps so I'll actually know why I'm executing some of the commands.

I've done a few bits of customisation but none of them have actually needed either xterm or root access so far...

Tim

Wow, schmots has a nice blog!