Active Topics

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
I work on a Maemo 5 application (orrery) using the scratchbox environment on a 32-bit x86 box running Ubuntu. Occasionally my code will core-dump, and naturally I'd like to be able to use gdb to examine the core-dump file. However, it never works. gdb itself core-dumps whenever I try to do this. I've used gdb a lot in other situations, so I'm pretty sure I'm invoking the program properly.

Has anyone else seen (and hopefully solved) this problem?
Any ideas?

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
[QUOTE=Ken-Young;734908]I work on a Maemo 5 application (orrery) using the scratchbox environment on a 32-bit x86 box running Ubuntu. Occasionally my code will core-dump, and naturally I'd like to be able to use gdb to examine the core-dump file. However, it never works. gdb itself core-dumps whenever I try to do this. I've used gdb a lot in other situations, so I'm pretty sure I'm invoking the program properly./QUOTE]

Have you tried gdb7?

http://chaos.troll.no/~harald/gdb7/

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vivainio For This Useful Post:
This is currently driving me insane. My experiences with Maemo so far have been mixed: as a user, Maemo is appalling. As a developer, it's so, so much worse. Distributing a non-functional debugger with your development environment, and then leaving the bug to fester for half a year without comment... how much more insulting can you get?

I can't install gdb7 because networking in scratchbox doesn't work. I can't debug my networking problems because scratchbox doesn't have ping. At this stage, I'm missing the slick development experience provided by the "peek" and "poke" commands on my Commodore 64...

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by matthew_exon View Post
I can't install gdb7 because networking in scratchbox doesn't work. I can't debug my networking problems because scratchbox doesn't have ping. At this stage, I'm missing the slick development experience provided by the "peek" and "poke" commands on my Commodore 64...
You can fix your networking problems by

cp /etc/resolv.conf /scratchbox/etc

(at host).

That being said, you can use host side to fetch the gdb7 debian package, copy it over to scratchbox side and "dpkg -i foo.deb" it.

The old debugger turned out to be broken only "recently" (during Qt 4.6 development IIRC). It worked just fine before it ;-).

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!