Active Topics

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There is already a Wiki entry on this topic and as this is another method, I don't want to alter it. I'm also unsure of how to fit in this alternate method. If someone is up for the task, please feel free to add this. Also, I realize this information exists elsewhere. I'm trying to consolodate it into one source and provide a step by step set of instructions for those not too familiar with Linux.

Mike: Hopefully the Sudo Gainroot has been slain .

Requirements:
Windows XP
VMWare Player (28,902KB)
Ubuntu VMWare Player Virtual Environment (264,676KB)
Linux flasher (645KB)
770 XTerm

Step by Step Instructions:
1.) Install the VMWare Player. The install is straightforward.

2.) Unzip the Ubunto VMWare Player Virtual Environment to a folder of your choosing. "My Documents\My Virtual Machines" is recommended. (Note that another sub-folder called "Browser-Appliance" will be created if you leave the zip file's directory structure intact.)

3.) Start VMWare Player. When prompted with "Browse for virtual machine configuration file" navigate to "My Documents\My Virtual Machines\Browser-Appliance" and choose "Browser-Appliance.vmx". Ubuntu will now boot.

4.) Click on the "Applications" menu in the upper left corner of the screen. Navigate to the "Internet" sub-menu, and select Firefox Web Browser (v1.5.0)

5.) Download the Linux flasher by entering the URL "http://www.maemo.org/downloads/d3.php" manually, or navigate to this document via Firefox and click on the link provided at the beginning. Save the file. (The default location will be the Desktop)

6.) Click on the "Applications" menu in the upper left corner of the screen. Navigate to the "Accessories" sub-menu, and select Terminal.

7.) Type the following (Linux commands are case sensitive!):
cd ~/Desktop
8.) Type the following (Linux commands are case sensitive!):
chmod +777 flasher
9.) Turn the Nokia 770 off.

10.) Plug the USB cable into the Nokia 770.

11.) Hold the 'Home' button down (the bottom-most one) and power the device on (keep holding down 'Home'). The Nokia logo appears on a white screen and after a few seconds the USB connectivity logo appears. Release the 'Home' button. The title bar of the VMPlayer window should now list a Nokia USB device.

12.) In the terminal again, type the following (Linux commands are case sensitive!):
sudo root ./flasher --enable-rd-mode --reboot
You should now receive a message that the device is in R&D mode.

13.) When the Nokia 770 reboots, you will notice green text on the white screen with the Nokia logo that displays Kernel information. There will also be a wrench icon beneath the logo. If XTerm is not already installed, install it now.

14.) To obtain root access, type the following in XTerm on the 770 (Linux commands are case sensitive!):
sudo gainroot
15.) Finally, switch to the root user itself (Linux commands are case sensitive!):
su -
16.) You now have full run of your system. Please be careful, and as always, do this at your own risk. If you don't have any linux experience, I recommend playing around in your Ubuntu Virtual Environment for a while to get used to the commands. Should you screw up your 770 at this point, the only way out is to reflash.

Last edited by Hedgecore; 2006-01-11 at 15:32.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Philly
There is one last step after gain root:

gainroot is not the actual root users shell/enviroment- to get that enter:

su -

see the output below-- and notice the env change after the su -

Code:
~ $ sudo gainroot
Root shell enabled

BusyBox v1.00 (Debian 2:20041102-11) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/home/user # su -

BusyBox v1.00 (Debian 2:20041102-11) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

Nokia770-51:~#

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
D'oh! I told you I'd just recycled information and tried it myself Updated. (thanks!)

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Spokane, WA.
Perhaps a pretty stoopid question, but I assume since I'm already running Kubuntu that I don't need the VMware steps. Just making sure VMware isn't doing some magic.

@ desktop:

Aside from gaining root, once there, we need the commands to type to enable and later disable USB host mode!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Cane For This Useful Post:
Refer to Bigboote's post:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...?t=1014&page=2

It appears these settings are ignored if one uses the flasher utility to enable hostmode (ie that overrides the file's settings)

Originally Posted by Mike Cane
@ desktop:

Aside from gaining root, once there, we need the commands to type to enable and later disable USB host mode!
Many of the ways to manipulate the 770 can be done by BusyBox shell scripts within an xterm window.

The idea of setting up and using a command-line driven mechanism is overwhelming to many "real" users, certainly the mainstream users that Nokia wants to attract.

My suggestion is that "someone" create either a simple application or an applet to launch shell scripts from a known directory (like /media/mmc1/bin or some such). This would be an extensible means for those who know Linux to aid those of us who are less sure of our way around.

Perhaps the fellow who wrote the wonderful CPU load, memory usage, screenshot, process kill applet would consider enhancing it.

DarkSavant: Correct, you'd skip all the VMWare garbage. (I noticed a lot of Windows users were seemingly stranded so I figured I'd do this from that point of view) (there's already a *nix tutorial in the Wiki)

Please note that this isn't another method. The method for getting root is well-documented at http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowDoiBecomeRoot . Realistically, this thread is about how to easily get Linux installed on a Windows system, and once this is done, the instructions at the referenced wiki page can be used.

Aaron

Aaron: I meant it's a method that differs from the Wiki entry found at iTT... if ya follow it as a step by step list. You're totally correct though, they're identical. There were a bunch of Windows users that were simply lost when it came to having some kind of windows boot, so I typed that up. I thought I'd put enough disclaimers that in no way was any of that invented by me, thought of by me, or to be passed off as being by me. My main point behind that 20 minutes of typing was to a.) put all the needed reference material in one spot, and b.) make it painfully clear so people who aren't familiar with Linux could give it a shot. I'm having anneurysms hitting all the different sources to grab snippets of information.

Last edited by Hedgecore; 2006-01-11 at 21:54.