Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
The N900 can pull off 3.5G (HSPA+) on T-Mobil in the US, which is quite nice speed wise.
T-Mobile has sparse coverage where I'm currently located unfortunately. That's a decision that forced my hand. It's not one that affects everybody, that much I know.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
I am in the same boat as OP, I would like to buy the N900, but not sure. It's VERY OLD, though, which makes me turn away from it. For RM200 (I'm looking at you ajack :P), is it worth it?
I bought one for RM600 off lelong around 2nd half of last year. if you search on that site, you can find a few units for around RM450.

the alternative is to look for parts to refurbish it yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
Sorry for the offtopic...

regarding all the posts commenting the music + browser slowdowns, I apologize. I forgot to say "with EQ on". Rockbox however does a fair job on EQ consuming far less cpu than other players (+ gapless playback!), but still causes some slowdowns and it's UI is quite horrendous for a touch device,but it still is the main music player I use.
and to freemangordon, no, I do not use any kind of "speed" or "battery" patch. The only "patch" I use is 720p recording done by guess who (thanks for it - really appreciate it!)

19:48 <Remi-X>: my name is fry and im shy
19:48 <Remi-X>: sh*t how can i even say something that dumb

The Following User Says Thank You to RiD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 215 | Thanked: 448 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Burgas, Bulgaria
I dont know about you guys but I got my N900 half an year ago and when I showed it with everything I need installed to my friends they had their jaws dropped, first basically I have 3 OS-es - Maemo, Android & Windows(wine)[Yes I use Windows executables on it]

With that comes FAR TOO MAY apps that almost everyone of them uses daily, like Instagram, Facebook messenger, Whatsapp&Yappari(credits to Scorpius!) & even online games (example - Wordz).

Then the Maemo itself - We have programming classes and with my N900 with gcc and g++ installed I can build & run those programs on the phone!!! , aircrack-ng & Navit are the most impressive.
But then come the small tweaks & scripts that you cant see but they are the most important - Kernel-Power, Batterypatch, Speedpatch, CSSU thumb, camera & hildon tweaks
They give me:
- 1 & 1/2 day heavy phone usage: media player, web browsing, gaming....
- No slowdowns - I listen to music + browsing the PC[not the mobile!!!] Facebook website + checking the email with the the app and I never had any kind of lack of performance and the music doesnt stutter as some of you say.
- a lil' tweaking the gdigicam.conf - 5MP camera with no compression and they hide their iPhones + Adobe DNG Raw capturing & decent 720p recording
- Overclocking[they are most impressed with that]
- many more that I cant remember right now

Basically I LOVE my N900 and I'm really really sorry that such 'open-source' phones won't be made anymore [ or at least in the near future ]

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tanago For This Useful Post:
n900 best phone ever event latest phones are proper **** !
price from 70$-150$

The Following User Says Thank You to Vader For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
... the N900 doesn't support video to video like I require, thus Google+ - I do use their Google+ Hangouts though.
Would you elaborate a bit on your requirements, I am really curious. As n900 supports both Skype and GTalk video call.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Apeldoorn area, Netherlands
Just buy a Nexus 4. The ubuntu mobile image will be released soon and that is sort of an upgrade from Meamo.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wreck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Asunción, Paraguay, South America
My N900 arrived yesterday, brand-new. I'm happy as a clam. Yes, I would buy it again if necessary. Simply put, there's no smartphone like it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sombragris For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2013 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by sombragris View Post
My N900 arrived yesterday, brand-new. I'm happy as a clam. Yes, I would buy it again if necessary. Simply put, there's no smartphone like it.
Hey, where did you get a brand new one? I want one too!

The Following User Says Thank You to ricardosteve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Asunción, Paraguay, South America
Originally Posted by ricardosteve View Post
Hey, where did you get a brand new one? I want one too!
I bought mine from an Amazon reseller. Simply search for "Nokia N900" and you're all set.

The Following User Says Thank You to sombragris For This Useful Post: