Just think of Meego as the name of a really cute Japanese girl. It helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
Meego = dumb name
What is up with these companies and stupid product names? Pixi, Pre, Wii, iPad...
Well, at least one of them do sell. :-)

Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
I'd used RPMs a long time ago, in Red Hat, but it was the equivalent of DLL hell in Windows. At that time, there seemed to be no central repository,
Must be really long time ago. :-)

Basically rpm tool itself is parallel to dpkg without either apt nor dselect. Try to use dpkg like that and you will understand. The only thing was that front-end to rpm was not immediately developed. However in this century all distributions with rpm has front-end / dependency resolver to rpm; Fedora / Red Hat, Suse, and Yellow Dog have Yum, Mandriva has urpm*, PCLinuxOS and ALT Linux use apt-rpm.

The Following User Says Thank You to arifsaha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gemi View Post
It is possible to make a YUM upgrade, but it is not as mature as the apt-get upgrade. The best and safest way is still to boot an installation DVD to upgrade.
Yum is commonly used for point upgrade (such as from Red Hat 5.3 to 5.4). For Red Hat since big version upgrade happens quite rare, whether Yum can do version upgrade is not very big deal.

Fedora are having what they called "PreUpgrade" for version upgrade, in which after downloading the packages, control is transferred to Anaconda (its installer agent) to actually execute the upgrade.

Originally Posted by gemi View Post
YUM works well, but with a large number of packages it becomes quite slow.
I believe anything will be slow given enough number or stuff. :-) But Yum is written in Python instead of binary code. May contribute to its slowness.

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
and because people used to grab RPMs from all over the place that would break their setup. There is nothing technical that prevents and RPM based distro to be as solid as a Deb based one.
Agreed. One thing that people sometime missed is that .deb format / dpkg tools are mostly used in one family of Linux distribution, i.e. Debian and its derivatives. In contrast, rpm format and tools are used in many major distributions which are derivatives of any single distributions, e.g. Red Hat, SUSE, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, etc. Therefore if you try to get rpm files and install them without checking each rpm file what distribution it for, you will get quite a mess.

Originally Posted by Verythrax View Post
Now the quest for a mascot become much easier. Someone design a cute version of HP Lovecraft's Mi-Go, quick!
Seriously, I would love that
My vote is in as well! Although it may be difficult to make something that have antennas in place of eyes cute. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mi-go

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
maemo + moblin != meego
maemo + moblin = maeblin, moemin or moemo

there'll be dragons

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
maemo + moblin != meego
maemo + moblin = maeblin, moemin or moemo

there'll be dragons
Did someone say Moomin?!
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ England and USA
SOMEBODY at Nokia thinks MeeGo will run on the N900, the MeeGo site front page (http://meego.com) clearly shows a user holding an N900.

Meego minus Moblin =GoBlin

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war