I would like to see a version of the fantastic PDAir case that includes a magnet and more support for the bottom right of the device.Other then that, I really can't think of anything.

Originally Posted by Wireless
I hate to sound dumb, but am I to assume I need a CAD program to open up this drawing? Nothing I have will open it, not that I have any real Graphics programs. Im not sure what they may have as well. I am forwarding your initial picture and comments and will get back to you,. Thanks again thoughm very appreciative of the effort.
I have used QCad from Ribbonsoft mostly because I use Linux on all my computers, AutoCAD doesn't run on Linux yet Just search google for dxf viewer and i think you should find a bunch of viewers. If you run Linux then try QCad it's small and fast. www.ribbonsoft.com

I posted a DWG/DXF reader on the wishlist at maemo a long time ago, still think it would be a great thing to have on the 770.

As for the cover it would be great if you could come up with something functional, the cover that comes with it is actually the only thing that really bugs me we the 770, I use it a lot less because it takes so much time to get the cover off!!

So, I think it is really critical that it is really easy to acces the device when you take it up from the bag. Maximum a second or two, and it should only require ONE HAND! That's a biggie, for me at least. And I like magnets for closure. I think keeping it as small, light and easy as possible is most important. For that I would sacrafice the clip, the name-window and the name cards. I would think one or two pockets for MMC and one for the stylus would be worth it though.

In terms of style, keep it simple and pure, and make sure it's black leather, not brown. Or sillicone, that would be neat.

Edit:
To clarify, with one hand I mean one hand for the opening procedure. The other hand can still hold it. But right now I have to use both hands to get the cover off, (one holds the cover, one pushes through the hole in the bottom) and hold it at the same time. Very cumbersome. Ok, if anywone follows me I would be surprised. Sorry 'bout that.

But it bugs me.

Last edited by Cassiel; 2006-07-14 at 09:56. Reason: confusion!

I have more or less finished my drawing so I am posting it for someone to review. Some of the radiuses have been really hard to get right, they aren't perfect but i guess they are close enough for a lether case.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nokia770_drawing.zip (8.9 KB, 179 views)

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Bethesda, MD
Thanks again to HardCoder. Great way to just dive in there!

But, I think we still have a problem with the pictures being in the .dxf format. I would assume that these are in a 3d type configuration which is why just taking the drawings and putting it out and making them in a word or more standard graphics format will not work?
I'm trying to be ready incase his design team cannot open the images in this .dxf format. (I havent heard back from my friend, but Im going to play the odds and bet that they aren't going to have a LINUX machine running this CAD program)
So if anyone can open these up and convert to something more standard, I sure would appreciate it. (If nothing else so I can see HardCoder's efforts)

NOTE: In my haste I didnt even see were he said to go GOOGLE for some viewers, until after I went and GOOGLED for some viewers. LOL Amazing what you can learn if you actually READ a whole post and not glance at it@.

Here is a 45 day trial of a viewer called 2D/3D CAD Viewer (Catchy name) ( CLICK HERE ) should anyone else care to see the drawings. It takes 4 lines to register for the download and it is only a bit less then 3MB and it opened drawing right up.

Thanks again Hardcoder.

Ron aka Wireless

I got even more gung ho. Now Im Mr. CAD LOL. Here is the HardCoder's drawing:

BB 8330 w/ SPRINT

NOKIA 770 w/ OS 2006
1 GB SanDisk RS-MMC

Last edited by Wireless; 2006-07-14 at 14:24.

Sorry to dissapoint you but it's a 2D drawing, have done some 3D work with Solidworks back in 2001-2002 but i don't have access to the software any longer.

I think the drawing guys at the company should be able to import the drawing into their application, dxf is supposed to be a standard format (more or less).

check out www.ribbonsoft.com they offer QCad versions for the three major plattforms Linux, Mac OS X and Windows.

Last edited by HardCoder; 2006-07-14 at 16:04.

Originally Posted by HardCoder
Sorry to dissapoint you but it's a 2D drawing, have done some 3D work with Solidworks back in 2001-2002 but i don't have access to the software any longer.

I think the drawing guys at the company should be able to import the drawing into their application, dxf is supposed to be a standard format (more or less).

check out www.ribbonsoft.com they offer QCad versions for the three major plattforms Linux, Mac OS X and Windows.
LOL, No dissappointment here. I ask for some simple measuring and I get a CAD drawing. Kinda like going to McDonalds and asking for a 1/4 Pounder and they slap a T-Bone Steak on the counter.

EDIT: I forgot you may be from Europe, It's like going to McDonalds and asking for a Royale with Cheese and getting a Filet Mignone slapped on the counter. (Sure I saw Pulp Fiction)

And in case that doesnt work, ask for a Hamburger, and get a big juicy steak!!

BB 8330 w/ SPRINT

NOKIA 770 w/ OS 2006
1 GB SanDisk RS-MMC

Last edited by Wireless; 2006-07-14 at 16:33.

Originally Posted by Wireless
LOL, No dissappointment here. I ask for some simple measuring and I get a CAD drawing. Kinda like going to McDonalds and asking for a 1/4 Pounder and they slap a T-Bone Steak on the counter.

EDIT: I forgot you may be from Europe, It's like going to McDonalds and asking for a Royale with Cheese and getting a Filet Mignone slapped on the counter. (Sure I saw Pulp Fiction)

And in case that doesnt work, ask for a Hamburger, and get a big juicy steak!!
It worked the first time
Only the french speaking countries call it a Royale with Cheese, The rest of us call it a 1/4 pounder just like you guys. at least it's called that in Sweden

Originally Posted by infinitespecter
I would like to see a version of the fantastic PDAir case that includes a magnet and more support for the bottom right of the device.Other then that, I really can't think of anything.
Very funny you said that. Ive had the PDAir case for 4 days, and it is already showing signs that it is going to "stretch open" in that area, if that makes sense. Im assumming it was just easier to make it that way due to the necessary access to the ports at the bottom.

As to the magnet, I have hit upon an interesting issue. I cannot use a magnet and get the 770 to turn off, or for that matter do anything. How about the rest of you, can you duplicate the action with just an ordinary magnet? As one of the top feature requests, I need to make this happen.

EDIT: It is funny how us humans can let6 our mind decide something for us and it "must be true". All along I was naturally sure that the magnet was somehow related to the silver metal clip located inside the slip on case. That of course would lead one to belive that the Magnetic sweet spoot would be the raised spot located dead center at the bottom of the 770 located on front and back. Well I am here to tell ya, Im wrong on that one. That area has nothing to do with ir but provide a Positive "CLICK" or better yet "detente" feel letting you know that it is in the case and semi-locked in.

Well I did further research on the forum and found that someone had said that you can duplicate the effect if you wave a magnet over the HOME button. JOILA Im turning ON/OFF. But careful exam oif the case I still don't see any sign of a magbetic element ot where it could be hiding. Then a cursory exam of the sides, shows metal. I think Im on to something. Sio I takle my megnet , ( a snap on another phone cases) and run it along the side of the NOKIA 770. PAY DIRT. The magnetic "sweet spot" is located on the Left Side of the unit right about where the Home Key sits.

So now that that issue is resolved,it made me think of another issue. What does the team think about designing the case to accommadate the original NOKIA silver case/sleeve within the leather case. It puts our magnet where it needs to be, front and back. It also allows us to turn the unit around for transport and protect the screen as well as can be possibly done in a case. It also is going to make for very easy removal, as requested by one poster, as it almost puts the 770 on rails inside the leather case. I don't see a huge increase in size or weight, and whatever we lose in size/ weight I think is more then made up with feature and benefit.

So, what ya folks think about dat?!! (I'm pattin myself on the head, can't wait to hear from the rest of the
"team".

BB 8330 w/ SPRINT

NOKIA 770 w/ OS 2006
1 GB SanDisk RS-MMC

Last edited by Wireless; 2006-07-15 at 08:13.

Hey my suggestion is a little selfish as it would help us out on a research project we are using the nokia's for. But would it be possible for the case to just show the screen and block access to all the keys? This would simulate a 'kios' mode. Of course, even better would be the ability to lock keys by the Hildon UI...