Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Does anyone know where it's stored how you have arranged home's application listing? Ie. what folders you have and in what folder each application has been put?

When I'm switching phones, I've found setting up the application grid to my liking is one of the most arduous processes. I'd like to backup it from old phone and put to new phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, España
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Does anyone know where it's stored how you have arranged home's application listing? Ie. what folders you have and in what folder each application has been put?

When I'm switching phones, I've found setting up the application grid to my liking is one of the most arduous processes. I'd like to backup it from old phone and put to new phone.
Get your launcher icons how you want them and then save a copy of the file shown below;

/home/nemo/.config/lipstick/applications.menu

This should work, provided that ALL launcher icons are present when you apply your saved 'applications.menu' file

Regards,

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Markkyboy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Markkyboy View Post
Get your launcher icons how you want them and then save a copy of the file shown below;

This should work, provided that ALL launcher icons are present when you apply your saved 'applications.menu' file

Regards,
Nice. Do you know what happens if not all launcher icons are present? Any problems if installing them later?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, España
It dumps them at the bottom of the launcher. I haven't really experimented to any depth, I just knew where the file was

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Markkyboy For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I think I have advocated it enough but still, rsync is your best friend for all backup purposes.

When I change devices and want everything to be like it was in the old one, I just pull the most recent dump from my server to the new device and it is identical to the old one

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I think I have advocated it enough but still, rsync is your best friend for all backup purposes.
Nice to know that it works just like that. I've been a bit wary to copy contents verbatim from one phone to another as it's not clear to me if some things are for example tied to the device (via IMEI or whatever) and could mess up the device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Markkyboy View Post

Regards,
Just a quick thumbsup that this mostly worked. After doing this, either restart lipstick (for example 'killall lipstick'), or reboot phone.

The folders are there and applications in right places. The different folder icons are not preserved with this, so you have to re-edit those.

But this is as-is anyway a big time saver for me. If anyone knows where the folder icon selections are stored, that'd be nice to know when I next time change phone

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Nice to know that it works just like that. I've been a bit wary to copy contents verbatim from one phone to another as it's not clear to me if some things are for example tied to the device (via IMEI or whatever) and could mess up the device.
As long as you backup users home directory there is nothing that should be device dependent. (and everything I know of which is needed to be backupped is under home)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: