Posts: 33 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ ABU DHABI - UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I hope not. As.has been mentioned repeatedly, extras-devel is not for the average user.

I bet most of the space is taken up by Android, not the pachage cache. I would look under /and. Michaaa62's du will highlight that if I'm right.
pichlo, I have not installed android yet, but it exists in my phone now and cant be uninstalled via HAM. its really messing me up now

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I don't know much about Nitroid (nor have I much interest in finding out), but from the little I know, I understand it is a 3 step process. You need to install multiboot, then you need to install a Nitroid kernel and lastly you need to download a Nitroid image and mount it in a specific folder under root. If I remember correctly, that folder was /and. Feel free to correct me if I am talking BS.

We have had a few people running out of root space because they, instead of mounting Nitroid under /and, tried to copy it there and, not surprisingly, it did not fit.

Now, about your space issue. There are two storage media on our N900. You can think of them as two hard disks. One is small, only 256MB. It is split into smaller parts, containing the bootloader, kernel and, most pertinently to your case, the 227MB root space. This is the first entry you see when you run df. It is vital system space, containing system files and some not-so-well behaved (see below) user applications. Because it contains the root of your file system, it is usually called "rootfs".

The second storage medium (or "hard disk" if you want) is 32GB, split into 3 parts. The first part is the 27GB space formatted as FAT and exported in mass storage mode. It is mounted under /home/user/MyDocs, usually referred to as "MyDocs" and used for documents, images, music etc. It is this part that has 20GB free in your case.

The next part of your 32GB medium is a 2GB space reserved for your applications. The 227MB rootfs mentioned above is just not enough so well written applications should install here. This space is mounted under /home and also (simplified as I am already too verbose) under /opt. Because of that, this partition is often referred to as "optfs".

All user files - contacts, SMS and calls history, saved games, in a word everything that does not go to MyDocs is kept here, more specifically somewhere under /home/user. It is also here that apt and dpkg use for a cache. Your dpkg output suggests that you have run out of this "optfs" space. If that happens, you can no longer create new files - including tracker databases, meaning Media Player list will appear empty even though you have tons of music files and 20GB free in MyDocs.

Keep in mind that I am only guessing since the information you provide is very patchy, to the point of nearly non-existent. Please provide the output of michaaa62's commands in post #28 to give us a better picture.

Last edited by pichlo; 2013-08-12 at 07:53. Reason: "does go" -> "does not go" (oops!)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Just to add to @pichlo's brilliant explanation:
The most common scenario for Nitdroid install is the internal card, which boils down to optfs. So having a fully fledged Maemo system already and installing Nitdroid is, space-wise impossible. This issue may be solved later.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ ABU DHABI - UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
how can I uninstall android? it exists in my phone, does not function, eats up my space and cant be uninstalled....

nitroid kernel shows in ham but its not functioning, how can I uninstall it coz it using up my space for nothing and it cant be uninstalled?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Please post the reslt of michaaa62's commands. Then we can decide what to do next.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Try to get rid of the nitdroid kernel, but this will not do magically free huge amounts of space
Code:
sudo gainroot
dpkg -r nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-07
So please post the output soon.

Also: I asked previously for the link to the tutorial you are following to help you correcting things, may that be a working Nitdroid install or a clean uninstall without losing your locale setting, which might get corrupted sometimes.

So please stop posting in 'shady' threads in this forum to search for help you get here.

Last edited by michaaa62; 2013-08-12 at 19:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso31+0cssu0) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ $ sudo gainroot
Root shell enabled

/home/user # dpkg -r nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-07
dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-07 which isn't installed.
/home/user #

thats the outcome yet in HAM it does exist and it says it cant be uninstalled

Look for the correct name of the nitdroid-kernel you have installed, i could got it wrong from the earlier post...
Code:
sudo gainroot
dpkg -l | grep nitdroid
this should give the name of the package to remove via 'dpkg -P' or 'dpkg -r'

~ $ sudo gainroot
Root shell enabled

/home/user # dpkg -l | grep nitdroid
ii nitdroid-installer 0.2.8-8 NITDroid new autoinstaller fetches and installs the
ii nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06 final1 Linux kernel for NITDroid
/home/user #