Active Topics

Originally Posted by Janniman View Post
I now have 10.2010.19-1.203.1. have I got the update or not?
No, that is PR1.2

I'm still baffled as to why anyone would even use the UK firmware... I use global in London, UK and have done since day 1...

Having said that, I've not really noticed any changes with PR1.3 as of yet but we will see!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stayloa For This Useful Post:
2010.11.02 i can start update pr 1.3 with 203 version juhuu..

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
>it's the networks that are the problem

Yes, if you are using UK network branded firmware. Many of us are not, and so should not be affected by Vodafone dragging their feet.

I gave up waiting and flashed the Global image. It's everything working great and I'll never have to wait the ALWAYS DELAYED UK firmware.

Just give it a try, you probably will never switch back to UK variant again.

For those still on UK FW (203) seems update is now available thorugh Ovi Suite (not on OTA yet). Remember to backup before doing it.

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
I agree that it's the networks that are the problem where firmwares are concerned.

When PR1.2 was released it was months before Vodafone finished "testing" their version. I'm pretty certain all bases are covered by Nokia in this respect.
People were boasting actually purchasing "unbranded" N900s with PR1.2 pre-installed and using the Vodafone network weeks before Vodafone approved the firmware. Vodafone simply used the old BS line "The Vodafone firmware is still in testing".
After more pressure they finally revealed that they hadn't even started the testing stage because they couldn't install it on their testing devices, so had to send them all to Nokia to be flashed.

With regards to Skype and other software, Vodafone have openly expressed the desire to block these at network level at least. So no surprises if they are pushing Nokia to remove them.
As possibly will the other UK networks even if they didn't give/sell the phone possibly want to exert pressure to stop as many in the UK using Voip as a Vodafone mod quoted either on wlan or via there 3g network..

Lets face it of the neworks there is only vodafone o2 and orange now so those three must exert huge pressure on the Manufacturers about what they want/dont want even on UK non branded Firmware.

I dont work in the Mobile industry but I do in another IT Product Industry and know the pressure reseller/dealers put on Manufacturers to change Firmware or settings to suit there needs. We sell direct a large percentage of our products so im sure its not as bad as what it is for Nokia where I would think the Networks and their partners who make money out of the calls/sms/data made (ie the second level the virgins, tescos, carphone warehouse, phones 4 u etc) buy and then resell the majority of all Nokia products and accesories..

It is now available OTA in the UK. It ran easily for me but none of the changes have jumped out at me.

My N900 notified me of the update in the UK today. I downloaded it over Wifi and installed it without problems.

So far I like the update; the N900 feels quicker and more responsive (especially email).

Despite the delay I am pleased Nokia made this update - after all this was one of the reason many of us opted for the N900 in the first place. I am sad that Nokia's efforts are now likely to go into MeeGo.

My N900 did lock up when the battery was almost flat - but it has done this once before so I am not going to blame the new update.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Got an OTA notification, but it told me to connect to a PC and do it via the updater. In progress now....