Active Topics

qt-embedded + a bit of work on my part = full, working J2ME (well, no bluetooth or sound, but working network and graphics!)

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Thats the excact reason I chose not to compile qt/kde embedded. There was already a working X server with stylus support, no need for me to reinvent the wheel.
This is precisely why I would suggest gentoo . The number of apps in portage is much higher than the number ported maemo apps will ever be.
With maemo the nokia tablets are just PDA devices, with gentoo (or another distro with large community) they are UMPC.
Ok closed specs could be a problem, but there are people who are running gentoo on ipaq PDA (<- windows...) or on zaurus.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Modulok: Gentoo or Redhat or ubuntu or anything else, you have to compile everything. Just because you have gentoo, does not mean your audience or software pool is any bigger. You still have to compile every bit of the software you want to run on gentoo or other.

So I am not seeing the benefit?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA

https://home.comcast.net/~penguinbait/kde-n800.avi

Not the best buts its all I am up for at the moment, seee, its real!!

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2007 @ South Carolina USA
Penguinbait:

I'd like to thank you for the ground-breaking experimentation you're doing on all our behalf(ves?). I'll be trying out some of it this weekend.

But, did I see a VNC Server icon on one of your ROX desktops? How did you get it working on the N800?

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
That is really great to see-- konqueror on the n800! It would nice if there was some way you could distribute these beta copies of things easily. Maybe a bit torrent hosted somewhere? You could always start a sourceforge project and link to it from a Maemo Garage project, using SF to host the files. It's certainly something to consider if you don't mind packaging things up occasionally. If not, I may have to build my own copy since this is making me very curious about the possibilities. May have to hack on the X server some more to get bluetooth mice working.

Larry

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Modulok: Gentoo or Redhat or ubuntu or anything else, you have to compile everything. Just because you have gentoo, does not mean your audience or software pool is any bigger. You still have to compile every bit of the software you want to run on gentoo or other.

So I am not seeing the benefit?
Software in the "pool" of a big Linux distribution works often nicely with the structure (configuration files) of this distro. I would choose Gentoo just because it is sourcecode based Linux distro. All others I work with are not.
Someone also found a debian pool for amel packages

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=4633

The simple idea is to connect to a larger community to get more support.
The maemo project only reaches developers who have a maemo based PDA (more precisely the N800...). This is obviously only a small fraction of the Linux developer community.

Nevertheless you already did a geat job.

The biggest problem with Gentoo would be the size. I used to use gentoo all the time, and still use it for creating custom live cds.. however.. on a normal running system, with only X installed, not even a window manager.. your looking at 1.5 gigs for portage downloads, source, and binaries

Originally Posted by schmots View Post
The biggest problem with Gentoo would be the size. I used to use gentoo all the time, and still use it for creating custom live cds.. however.. on a normal running system, with only X installed, not even a window manager.. your looking at 1.5 gigs for portage downloads, source, and binaries

Perhaps you should try to recompile Gentoo with "-Os", delete
the distfiles, delete /var/tmp/ get rid of some dependencies (see use flags) ...

Look here

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-178887.html

Its in German. He writes that the running system is currently 6Mb large...

Last edited by Modulok; 2007-03-15 at 19:37.

If I ever get my 770 back from Nokia, I will surely try this. Couple of questions though:
1. Did anyone try this except for penguinbait?
2. Is there a (basic!) "HOWTO" available?
3. Is the USB Host support enabled?

Cheers.