Active Topics

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by DrWilken View Post
What about charging using gas...?

Attachment 13654

I've got plenty of that...

The could call it the "FartPhone".
Sewer gases can be used to make energy, but usually it's in a plant or a generator.

There are piss powered batteries though

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
I can't wait for the 2 hour standby cellphones...
Yeah!!

Then we will charge our cell phones on gas-stations.

Is that a server in your pocket? Or your just happy to see me?

The Following User Says Thank You to peynaud For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
kinetic charger builtin into the battery itself or the phone would be helpful, but i don't think it would produce energy fast enough to suffice by itself, would increase battery life but not make wall chargers obsolete just yet. i'm not sure what output you can expect form solar cells nowadays though, my guess is it's probably still less than the wall for anything that you can easilly carry with you
Kinetic style approach could be good for achieving standby energy-neutrality, but couldn't keep up with a system under load. There is only one ubiquitous energy source available that can produce energy at sufficient levels to make it beyond gimmick level, and that's good one muscle power, whether it be through walking, cranking or some other crafty means. Of course most, if not all users would rather chill with an empty battery than be caught using that nerdy/geeky stuff.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Actually the problem is not battery life but heat management. If you have hardware with mobile phone form factor and consume energy so much that you drain your battery empty in a couple of hours, you start to have bad problems with heat. This means that you actually have to think power consumption issues when designing new processors for mobile gadgets and better power sources are not the solution for power consumption issues. Sure, with a bigger battery you can have your device run longer but you still need to limit the power consumption because of the heat.

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
or make the pathways more efficient so less heat is wasted

Hey! How about adding somthing like a stirling engine to convert the heat back into electricity?

Posts: 292 | Thanked: 348 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
Now all we need is some human-matrix-based energy batteries.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Iirc, there was also recent news about A9 reaching 2-2.5Ghz via 28nm production process.

As for batteries, as usual that will depend on the usage amount. A phone that is mostly on standby within a single cell will maintain battery longer then one that is in active use while traveling between multiple cells. And even then the A15 is designed to power up only those bits of the core that is actually needed, and can do so without impacting the performance. So if all it is doing is integer math, the FPU and related will stay powered down.

And all this in addition to the power saving extras like DSP that means the cpu will not be powered up at all when playing music or perhaps even video (at least on devices using SoC that is smart enough to provide a reprogrammable DSP rather then one with fixed codecs only).

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
How about wifi charging?

How's that coming along?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Whatever happened to fuel cells?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: