Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
My wife asked me today if there was an app to auto respond with an 'away/meeting/unavailable' SMS if anyone tries to call when she is in a meeting. I think I have seen this mentioned here before but not sure if there is actually such an app for the N900.
If not how hard it would be to write a script to grab the caller ID and bounce back an 'away' sms. Maybe there is an existing script that can be run as a daemon when the phone is set to silent mode or another custom meeting mode in the notification area, not sure how to detect that though. I am happy to just get a few links to get me started if this is not already available on the repos.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
If not how hard it would be to write a script to grab the caller ID and bounce back an 'away' sms. Maybe there is an existing script that can be run as a daemon when the phone is set to silent mode or another custom meeting mode in the notification area, not sure how to detect that though. I am happy to just get a few links to get me started if this is not already available on the repos.
The dbus wiki might get you started. You can query the current profile with .....com.nokia.profiled.get_profile and grep for the name of your silent profile ("silent" or whatever it's localized to, I guess).

I'd used the ssms.py example on that page to send a "panic button" message to my wife, but it seems to have suffered "code rot" in the time since I did that. Good thing I never got kidnapped by aliens.

If you get this working, post your code, please. I've always wanted to do something like this, but send the incoming texts to Eliza to make an SMS chatterbot.

ed: I had actually used the python D-Bus send sms script from the phone control page. That one still works

Last edited by robthebold; 2014-12-03 at 16:58. Reason: remembered something else

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I am going to try to whip something up this week... hopefully.
I will post what I make and hope others give it a try too, I can barely slap together script, troubleshooting it out of my realm though.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
There is a way of doing this in the call-ui.
Granted it is not automatic but may save you writing a script.

Simply press the "envelope" button that appears on the incoming call window.
This opens a text message window for that contact.
Type or paste your "I am busy, go away" message.
Then press send, the call is automagically rejected, logged as a missed call so you have the number and the message is sent.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:

Tags
autoanswer, sms-message