Notices

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Dallas, Texas
I see that it works via wifi, but can it be configured to work via the internet, so I can use my phone to access my music while at work?

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oulu, Finland
No it doesn't have such an option. I haven't actually test that would that be possible. Anyway, it's only remote control, so the music is not played from your device's speakers.

I bought cuteremote from Ovi store.
But it does not do anything, it just shows two buttons: Libraries and Add library.
The first shows an empty screen, the second a PIN code. That was it, then, nothing more...
How is it supposed to work?

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
This is great. I noticed there are two versions of the same product at the ovi store: a free and a 0.99$ version. Are they all the same?

Thank

Originally Posted by rm53 View Post
I bought cuteremote from Ovi store.
But it does not do anything, it just shows two buttons: Libraries and Add library.
The first shows an empty screen, the second a PIN code. That was it, then, nothing more...
How is it supposed to work?
Hi, 1.0.5 version which is already available for every other platform except Maemo5 (I don't know what takes so long with Maemo5 in Ovi Store QA) has one fix that helps in pairing in some environments. You can test the Lite version, that's already 1.0.5 version and has the fix. Just press add library and wait few secs and the device should be visible in your media player.

If it doesn't work, check the support page at facebook, basically you need to have N900 and your PC/Mac in same network and firewall accepting connections to media player.

Last edited by izero; 2011-09-14 at 11:00.

Originally Posted by x61 View Post
This is great. I noticed there are two versions of the same product at the ovi store: a free and a 0.99$ version. Are they all the same?

Thank
Lite version has only the basic playback controls. Full version has playlist view, multiple speaker volume control, album list and rating control in player view.

Originally Posted by Taleydra View Post
I see that it works via wifi, but can it be configured to work via the internet, so I can use my phone to access my music while at work?
A bit late now, but I've figured out a solution for anyone that wants to control their home player over the internet. I use it for controlling my icecast stream.

1. Install avahi-utils via apt-get -- This gives Maemo the ability to use zeroconf/bonjour/whatever_the_cool_kids_call_it
2. On the same network, pair cuteplayer with the player.
3. Still on the same network, run
Code:
avahi-browse -rt _touch-able._tcp
Which should output something like:
Code:
= wlan0 IPv4 (16 character hex ID#1)                              _touch-able._tcp     local
   hostname = [XXXX.local]
   address = [192.168.X.XX]
   port = [3689]
   txt = ["Ver=131077" "iV=196618" "DvTy=iTunes" "DvSv=2880" "iCSV=65539" "OSsi=0x1F7" "CtlN=(Library Name)" "DbId=(16 character hex ID#2)" "txtvers=1"]
4. On a different network, we can now setup a SSH tunnel like so:
Code:
ssh -C -L :3689:127.0.0.1:3689 -N (username)@(host) &
5. And finally, put the info above into avahi to advertise the player to cuteremote (change everything after 3689 to match your info):
Code:
avahi-publish -s (hex id #1) _touch-able._tcp 3689 txtvers=1 DbId=(hex id #2) CtlN='(Library Name)' OSsi=0x1F7 iCSV=65539 DvSv=2880 DvTy=iTunes iV=196618 Ver=131077
6. Launch cuteremote and it should be working.

You can save your commands from 4 and 5 to a shell script for easy launching.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
ssh -C -L :3689:127.0.0.1:3689 -N (username)@(host) &
trap "kill $!" 0 1 2 15
avahi-publish -s (hex id #1) _touch-able._tcp 3689 txtvers=1 DbId=(hex id #2) CtlN='(Library Name)' OSsi=0x1F7 iCSV=65539 DvSv=2880 DvTy=iTunes iV=196618 Ver=131077
I've adapted this technique from a DAAP (Library Sharing) port forwarding walkthrough at http://www.leancrew.com/all-this/201...nneling-redux/