Notices

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
[ot]Sorry if I've understood wrong but wasn't there some discussion about getting the free navi for the N900..? Here's some article of it. Has that been scrabbed after the announce of Meego?[/ot]

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna
Originally Posted by Patroclo View Post
Man, that smiley made my day, seriously. Way better than *ROFL*. But sorry, i'm off-topic.

Concerning free turn-by-turn navigation: I would really appreciate it, i use my (smart)phones mainly for calendar and navigation. But if Nokia doesn't provide anything (which i think will be the case) i'll go for sygic. Huzzah for Sygic.

Originally Posted by jorjino View Post
First of all please do not say that I am a clown or "entitled to more than they really are"!!!
You do not know who I am as a person, education, status!

This forum, I think, is for giving ideas for improvements, and not for offend each others. I suppose...

So, I still think that present version of OVI Maps in N900 is still unusable. There is no possibility for making POI, km/h announcements, etc. Also there is no possibility to find a working GPS program as Garmin, Tom Tom or else for N900, because of Nokia.

Please do not act rude, because we are not here to share bad attitude and to express personal bad feelings.

Regards.

I never called you a clown, and the sad fact is that you really do think you're entitled to more than you are.

To put it this way, I used to work at a subway and some people would expect extra cheese on a "steak" sandwich (it isn't real steak) because other subways did it, but ours didn't. They'd even argue with me about it! "I'm sorry but we don't offer free double cheese on a steak sandwich sir" was all I could say. Did I give them free cheese if they complained? No.

To plug your complaint into that scenario:
I'm sorry if other people are offering products that you're used to (Google Maps is amazing and I miss it, I won't lie) but the fact is that Nokia's map application doesn't come with the same features as the competitions, and was never advertised as such. To expect Nokia to make up for your very high expectations by offering a paid product for free is absurd.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm not trying to offend you. I know I may sound a bit condescending but it's hard to present elementary concepts to grown men on the internet in a way that isn't.

EDIT: I think the main problem here is your definition of "unusable". Here's a similar scenario.

My iPod is unusable! It doesn't support syncing with other computers, it doesn't support FLAC lossless, and it doesn't support making playlists on the fly!

In reality the iPod is pretty usable, albeit not as functional as other portable mp3 players. Does that mean Apple owes you a Cowon S9? No!

There is no possibility for making POI, km/h announcements, etc.
In reality OVI Maps is pretty usable, albeit not as functional as other map applications. Does that mean Nokia owes you Sygic's map application for free? No!

Sorry for the rant

Last edited by Lazarpandar; 2010-03-21 at 01:27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lazarpandar For This Useful Post:
I am also for open code software, but there is no such GPS app at this moment.

We all hope to receive OVI Maps in N900 .................
I too really hope we get free navigation on the N900... it needs alot of work also in other fields..specially apps... nokia will get nowhere if they keep up this attitude... its like the got rid of their N900s by selling them to us ..and now they moved on to a new project... sux.

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sygic is sh*t!!! sucks that they are the only game in town at this point. i tried to look up an address this past saturday and it didnt even have the street in the database. to make matters worse, the software is not designed to go online and search for the street. way too basic for such a hefty device. nokia needs to get their acts together with this phone and get some real development complete!!

If the street isn't there then it's the fault of the maps, not Sygic. No nav application is better than the maps. And the maps are provided by TeleAtlas or Navteq, and they have the same content for everyone. And if the maps are bad, most of the time it isn't even the fault of those two map providers, errors in the maps are by those who _made_ the maps, and sold them to the mapping companies. And that would often be the local authorities. Complain to them.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
So there is no any working version of this app for maemo? I need something that can have maps already on the device, because I`m going to visit uk, so it's expensive to fget gsm data by roaming, is there any app?

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Ridd92 View Post
So there is no any working version of this app for maemo? I need something that can have maps already on the device, because I`m going to visit uk, so it's expensive to fget gsm data by roaming, is there any app?
there should be some torrent floating, just google for it. It works and also it is hacked to use newer maps from android.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
(...) It works and also it is hacked to use newer maps from android.
So I can use sygic 10 with up-to date downloaded android maps? Never tried it, never even though about it, but it sound nice.

Can anyone give me more info before I try to do so? Just download maps and copy them to the maps folder on n900?

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Ridd92, I have used map images from an Android copy I purchased with a friends phone, Maemo5 Sygic doesn't have all of the maps I needed.
I believe I just put the map directories with all of the others and then chose that map in Sygic. Worked great.