Notices

I searched and couldn't find anything concerning pandora.com for Canola. Has there been any thoughts/discussion on a pandora plugin?

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Seattle
There is a Last.FM pluggin, with streaming radio enabled
I prefer it anyways, otherwise...nope
as far as I am aware

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi Doctor, unfortunately we are unable to do that here in Brazil : / Pandora is forbiden for us so if anyone is interested in doing so, we can help in the Canola IRC channel and via list.

Attached the website message : /

Br

Marcelo

Ps : as said by jake : Last.fm works more or less the same way.. by similar artists.
Attached Images

OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

The Following User Says Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
I use Pandora through the built in browser and it works fine. What will Canola add to Pandora that is missing with the browser?

BTW, Pandora works on a different principal to LastFM and I prefer the results especially after a lengthy session. Pandora seems to remain more true to the original choice compared with LastFM.

I don't see how a browser based application would work in Canola anyway. The built in OS2008 browser works with Pandora, although it does ask if you want to abort a script that is taking too long the first time it loads: Just say NO!
...and wait some more.

I like both LastFM and Pandora for a variety, but I have to give the edge to Pandora even though it is sort of too heavy on the browser and has some pauses at times. Depending on the type of music your looking for, one can be better then the other as far as remaining true to the original choice. They both certainly do benefit from a lot of feedback training. The infinite custom stations of Pandora do seem better because they are independent of previous history so past choices do not influence the choices on different stations. I don't really know of a way to make more than one station on LastFM unless you have multiple accounts?

Last edited by Pain; 2008-08-08 at 00:48.

Originally Posted by handful View Post
unfortunately we are unable to do that here in Brazil : / Pandora is forbiden for us
I forgot about this

I asked because I agree with dfinch and Pain, Pandora is better than Last.fm. I use the web-flash interface, but interaction with the interface is obviously very delayed. I saw a demo of Logitech's squeezebox the other day and didn't know if direct control to Pandora was available to the public, or by contract only (most likely the latter).

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Seattle
It is possible to do it, I just doubt anyone would
a. port it to the n800
b. port THAT into canola

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
Just my 0.2 but this doesn't appear possible at the moment... Pandora doesn't appear offer a streaming API the way last.fm does because they make most of their money from ad-revenue. So even the desktop players out there for pandora don't do anything except load the swf file from pandora's website.

So even if the canola developers were to do it this way, it would still suffer from the same flash slowness that it does in the browser.

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
I use Pandora through the built in browser and it works fine. What will Canola add to Pandora that is missing with the browser?
I think you missed the point Canola does not add to youtube, or last.fm browse experiences, but using a dedicated client and not a browser based section gives you a integrated experience inside an application you already have. Of course not everyone needs this, but is really understandable that the users here want Pandora on canola if they are pandora users.

The thing is all about API. if there is an web based api it can be done fairly easy.

So josiagh is right, just downloading swfs is not good enough.

Br

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

I do love the Canola interface but I must admit that I more frequently use the inbuilt meda player as it gets me to the music a little more quickly.

However, if I am showing off the ITT (especially to iPod owners) I always bring up Canola and browse that album art.

I do have a question. A small number of my album covers are incorrect (about 10 of 100). They were found from local folders and via the internet (automatically by Canola). Is there a way to swap the ones that are incorrect? Thanks.