Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
When i try to get the mouse pointer up in the web browser to select page text to copy it mostly doesn't work, bringing up the copy address/download image menu instead. I've tried using the stylus, my finger and my nail with the same effect with each. I've watched the nokia vid on hand gestures in the browser and read a few threads including this one which gives a step by step guide:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...er+web+browser

Any help or tips welcome as other than this (and the battery life!) I'm loving the n900.

I'm in the uk so not on the latest update - in case that makes a difference. Pointer and copy and paste worrk fine elsewhere it's just getting into that mode in browser that's the issue

Last edited by zail; 2010-03-03 at 12:47. Reason: spelling

Works for me. Can you describe exactly what you do?

The Following User Says Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
It never works for me either. I get the mouse to come up and start moving it with my finger but after a second it loses it and it's a pain in the but to use. Luckily, I don't find myself ever needing to use it.

It's actually quite easy if you know how: open up the keyboard. Get the pointer (stylus recommended). Use the thumb on the hand holding the phone (left for right-handers) to hold shift, then just swipe on the screen. Finally, copy with ctrl+c
Maybe it's just me, but i think it works like a charm

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by kbeeveer46 View Post
It never works for me either. I get the mouse to come up and start moving it with my finger but after a second it loses it and it's a pain in the but to use. Luckily, I don't find myself ever needing to use it.
Just to check the obvious... Are you tapping on the mouse icon that appears? I'm in the UK on PR 1.1 too and whlst not the most useful thing in the world I don't seem to be having the issues you are.

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
1. activate pointer
2. click once on any text
3. now you can start selecting texts

Cheers MrGrim Just tested that several times and I seem to be getting the hang of it - have even managed to highlight some text! Does the kb have to be open for it to work?

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
this is how i do it

1/ swipe from the left onto the screen to bring up the pointer
2/ tap the pointer icon that appears on the bottom right so that it gets a red line through it
3/ use your finger to select the text you want

http://wiki.maemo.org/General_precautions

and FYI - dont be a n00b and copy and paste commands into the Terminal with out knowing what it doe's and what you'll need to do to correct any problems.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to starman For This Useful Post:
aha! I think this thread has intimidated it into working as it seems fine everytime now. Or, more likely, the thread has educated me so thanks to all

The Following User Says Thank You to zail For This Useful Post:
Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
On my N900 I have to swipe left to right very quickly & I mean fast! Then select the large arrow that appears bottom left(a red line goes through it), again I do this quickly as it disappears after ~1s, and then I can select text copy etc.

Repeat manically if large arrow does not appear first time lol This process works better for me if I swipe the bottom 1/5 of the display.

Just found hover mode Moving slowly in from bottom left and moving slighty upwards.

Last edited by Duffer; 2010-03-03 at 14:36.