Trigun
Elfen Lied

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Infinite Ryvius
Scrapped Princess
Witch Hunter Robin
Last Exile

The titles I 100% approve:
- Cowboy Bebop (you know there's both a series and a movie, right? (and 5 cds of soundtrack and 2 cds of seatbelts & Yoko live))
- Serial experiments lain
- 5cm per second (if you like it, try also "The girl who leapt through time")
- Akira (classic!)

The things I'm surprised noone mentioned yet:
- Ghost in the shell (2 series, 3 movies)
- Afro samurai

Last edited by viraptor; 2010-05-05 at 13:30.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Thanks, never knew there were so many Anime/Manga fans here.

I checked out many of the listed ones here and am giving "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuts", "Voices of a Distant Star" and "Serial Experiments Lain" a try for now. So much Anime...so little time...
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-05-05 at 13:17.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Just watched the first episode of "Serial Experiments Lain" and...wow....thanks for that recommendation...
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Boondocks

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
Favorites:
* Death Note
* Elfen Lied (I really LOVED it)
* School Days
* Serial Experiments Lain

Watched lately (not yet completed):
* Shuffle! (looks promising)
* Neon Genesis Evangelion
* Mnemosyne

Last edited by Aranel; 2010-05-06 at 17:47.

I suppose after 10 years of watching the stuff I find it difficult to name any one (or even any 5) shows that one should watch. I've also fallen probably just beyond the "elitist" boundary as I watch everything in Japanese without subtitles until I have it on DVD.

In any case, as clasificado said there's a number of genres inside anime, as it is more a medium than a single genre itself. You'll have to peruse some suggestions and find out what you like.

If you're a pseudo-realistic Mecha fan, you'll have to check out the Gundam series, which spans some 30 years and 10+ series. A must-see is the original 1979 series, which while old animation wise is still quite good. Same goes for the original Macross.

If you saw and liked Cowboy Bebop (hard to believe the series is 12 years old now,) then you might want to look up the works of Studio Bones, which include shows like Rahxephon and Darker than Black. Most of the staff that worked on Bebop moved on to form Bones, and have worked on most of the shows it has produced since it formed, to varying degrees of success.

Gainax (Evangelion) seems to make the occasional comeback, especially with their recent series Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, which touches all the super-robot themes.

And you can't go wrong with the Ghost in the Shell TV series, both of which are far better than the movies.

There's an excess of material out there, and 3+ decades worth of stuff strewn with stuff that rivals the best western shows and some utter crap (a lot, as of late.)

Anything by Hayao Miyasaki. (Nausicaa, Castle In The Sky, Princess Mononoke, etc.)
Anything by Satoshi Kon. (Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Paprika)

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Gankutsuou: The Count Of Monte Cristo
Le Chevalier D'Eon
Serial Experiments Lain
Jubei-chan
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Magical Shopping District Abenobashi
Haibane Renmei
Vision Of Escaflowne