For now I've switched to Lineage:

-> Browser is unusable
-> no Videochat with Riot possible (or no native Riot Client, or secure Jabber or Signal Client)
-> battery consumption (Xperia 10)

Still I'm missing the OS in general. Gestures are way nicer implemented than with Android. Card/Caldav OOTB is also a very fine thing.

Maybe sometime in the future again.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
^ despite my critical stance, the browser isn't "unusable".
Battery life is very good on my Xperia XA2 (knock on wood that it stays that way for a while).

I guess you're right about the video chat though.

No need to hope for "maybe in the future" - SailfishOS will never be able to fully compete with Android (yes, LineageOS is Android, too) as a "use-your-phone-for-everything" OS. It will always require a conscious choice for a specific mindset (and agianst another).

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
I had trouble getting connectivity back after an upgrade of my XA2, but thanks to jolla.together succeeded without reflashing the system and the upgrade feels good, especially the net performance has improved, it was terribly slow before, here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to veeall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
No need to hope for "maybe in the future" - SailfishOS will never be able to fully compete with Android (yes, LineageOS is Android, too) as a "use-your-phone-for-everything" OS. It will always require a conscious choice for a specific mindset (and agianst another).
100%. People have developed dependence on ecosystems, and if they truly value their freedom and peace of mind, they'll adapt their usage to suit. For example, I abandoned all social media and gimmick apps. I bought Sailfish licenses for my X and XA2 Ultra, specifically so I could have Android support in the event there wasn't a native app for something I absolutely had to have. Is it perfect? No. Do I feel better now that Google et al aren't farming my data? Yes.

Remember, if it's free... you're the product.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
For now I've switched to Lineage:

-> Browser is unusable
-> no Videochat with Riot possible (or no native Riot Client, or secure Jabber or Signal Client)
-> battery consumption (Xperia 10)

Still I'm missing the OS in general. Gestures are way nicer implemented than with Android. Card/Caldav OOTB is also a very fine thing.

Maybe sometime in the future again.
I wouldn't say the browser is unusable. Moreover, why can't you install Firefox Focus via Android support? I did, and it works as well as it did on stock Android - both X and XA2 Ultra.

I can't speak to Riot clients, but there is an Android app. I've never used Jabber, so I don't know. aebruno's Whisperfish client still works, I registered my XA2 Ultra on it yesterday, so that's a native Signal client. The Android Signal app also works.

As far as battery consumption, both my X and XA2 show markedly better battery consumption over Android. I know the Xperia 10 has a smaller battery than what people are used to, so maybe that's a contributor.

The Android support is there specifically to address most of your concerns: a stopgap to provide apps where native solutions aren't available, to reach a wider audience.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
I wouldn't say the browser is unusable.
Likewise. I tried a bunch of alternatives but found it pointless, since the stock Sailfish browser was perfectly fine and actually better than most others, especially in the UI design.

I wonder what people mean when they say that it is "unusable". Can anyone give an example?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Likewise. I tried a bunch of alternatives but found it pointless, since the stock Sailfish browser was perfectly fine and actually better than most others, especially in the UI design.

I wonder what people mean when they say that it is "unusable". Can anyone give an example?
I'd imagine they probably want to use it to interact with some very modern social media sites with tons of obscure javascript content.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I'd imagine they probably want to use it to interact with some very modern social media sites with tons of obscure javascript content.
That would be my guess too, but I'd like a first-hand testimony.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Oh, cmon you two

I am pretty sure you know this list
https://together.jolla.com/question/...lfish-browser/
and it is not only about social media stuff...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

I'd say not unusable for an occasional link, but for generic browsing sessions, I wouldn't use it because of the absence of adequate build-in privacy, like blocking third party cookies, but also the lack of add-on support. The current web is just too full of tracking dreck. On both desktop and mobile I use first party isolation, http smart referer header, uBlock origin in an aggressive mode, cookie autodelete and I don't care about cookies (because they are thrown away anyway). A pleasant side effect is that I rarely see ads, and when I do, they are harmless because of all other measurements - I might even click on them.

Yes, I'm aware of some hosts-based (ad) filtering options on SFOS, but that is just part of the story.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post: