Poll: Which device would you prefer?
Poll Options
Which device would you prefer?

Feature ------------------ N900 ------------ iPhone v3 ------- Palm Pre ------------- N97
1. Processor -------------- OMAP3 * ------- OMAP3 * --------- OMAP3 * -------------- OMAP2
2. RAM memory ----------- 256 MB ------- 256 MB ------------256 MB ----------------- 128 MB
3. 3D & OpenGL ----------- Y --------------- Y -------------------- Y ----------------------- N
4. free Office --OpenOffice, KOfice, Ooo -- N ------------------ N ------------------------ N, (paid: QuickOffice 40$)
5. many free apps --------- Y --------------- Y -------------------- N ------------------------ N
6. good internet brs ----- FireFox ----- Safari -------------- WebOS brs --------- Nokia brs & Opera
7. Full Java ------------------ Y ---------------- N -------------------- N -------------------- JaveME
8. Full Flash ----------------- Y ---------------- ? -------------------- ? -------------------- Flash Mobile
9. Easy to program --------- Y ---------------- Y -------------------- ? ----------------------- N
10. Resolution ------------ 800x480 --------480x320 -----------480x320 ------------- 640x360
11. Command line ----------- Y ---------------- N ------------------- N ----------------------- N
12. Video recording -------- 800x480 -------- ? ------------------- N --------------- 640x480
13. Nice UI --------------------- Y ---------------- Y ------------------- Y ---------------------- Y
14. solid OS --------------- Linux Maemo --- OS X ------- Linux WebOS --------- Psyon Symbian
15. Community --------------- 5* --------------- 5* ------------------ 3* ---------------------- 3*
16. Virtual Machines --------- Y --------------- ? ------------------- N ----------------------- Y
17. Remote connection ------ Y --------------- N ------------------ N ----------------------- Y
18. Drivers ---------------- Y, Linux drivers --- ? ------------------ N ----------------------- N
19. No application signing --- Y --------------- N ------------------ N ----------------------- N
20. Camera -------------------- 5 MP ----------- 3.2 MP ----------- 3.2 MP ------------- 5 MP
21. AppStore ----------------- ? Ovi ------------ AppStore --------- Y ------------------ Store.OVI.com
22. Dev Kits ---- C QT Java WebKit Flash -- Objective C ------ WebKit ------- C QT Java WebKit Flash
23. Display --------------------- 3.5" ------------- 3.6" -------------- 3.1" ------------------ 3.5"
24. Multi-touch ----------------- N? -------------- Y ------------------ Y -------------------- N
25. Capacitive display -------- N? -------------- Y ------------------ Y --------------------- N
26. VoIP/Skype ---------------- Y ---------------- N ------------------ N? -------------------- Y
27. Video call / Front Cam -- Y ---------------- N? ----------------- N? -------------------- Y

I thought a comparision of N900 not only with N97, but with iPhone v3 and Palm Pre based on the initial comparison here would be interesting.

What can be added to the list?
What device do you like?

Comparison N900 and N97
1. Faster processor OMAP generation 3 (N900) compared to generation 2 (N97)
2. Double RAM memory 256 MB (N900) compared to 128 MB (N97)
3. 3D applications and OpenGL (3D fast games) supported by N900 processor
4. OpenOffice and KOffice (Word, spreadsheet, presentations PPT) for free in N900 compared to 30$-40$ QuickOffice in N97
5. Hundreds of free good applications for Maemo N900 and potential more hundreds from Linux community (including potential to have Google G1 application framework ported to Maemo) compared to almost not many good free application on Symbian.
6. Very good internet browsers FireFox , etc on Maemo, compared to not very performant browser on Symbian.
7. Full Java support for Maemo not only a subset like is for Symbian.
8. Full Flash support for Maemo, not just a mobile version like is for Symbian.
9. Easy to program Maemo compared to hard to program Symbian Carbide C++ - more applications for N900 in future.
10. 800 x 480 resolution means VGA videos will not be shrinked, which is better quality watching videos and all the games and applications. (N900 has 800x480 and N97 has 640x360)
11. Command line is very important, because you can package quickly anything, run a Pearl or a shell batch file and you can install anything, you can update libraries and modules, install frameworks and do a lot of stuff.
12. Video recording is 800x480 on N900 which is better than 640x480 on N97
13. qole noted that Maemo 5 is "swishier" and very next-generation, with lots of transparency, 3D effects, swishing and swooping windows, etc. That tends to appeal to gadget hounds.
14. Linux is a solid OS, where Symbian is only a mobile OS.
15. Linux community is greater than Symbian's
16. Linux Maemo has many Virtual Machines (VM) which can run from Windows to different other systems.
17. Maemo has better remote connection applications, and with bigger resolution of N900 and much more memory (needed here) N900 will clearly subclass N97 in this category.
18. More printer drivers and other drivers in Linux.Maemo than Symbian. Linux cames from computer to mobile so it has more USB capabilities.
------
19. No application signing required
Edit: corrected resolution, thanks
Edit 2: corrected dev lang for iPhone Objective C and not Native C, and PalmPre multi-touch, thanks

Last edited by Architengi; 2009-06-06 at 19:41.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Architengi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
N97 is ARM11, but not an OMAP2 (probably a Samsung of some sort).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
poll missing option "none of the above" which I would have voted.

The Following User Says Thank You to FRZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
right. the correct answer is "none of the above". they're all far too big and too heavy to be considered phones. (also, i don't like phones with touch screens.)

Last edited by benny1967; 2009-06-05 at 19:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
I'm with Benny, there should have been an option for "None of the Above"

In terms of that comparison chart.. eh, too bad tables don't look nice in forums like this.

N900 has a similar open-ended OS to the Palm Pre, which is good for development - however the Pre wins here because knowing HTML/CSS/JS is much lower a barrier to developer entry than the many supported schemes within Maemo 5 (WRT, Flash, Qt, C++, etc.);
"" would have most likely have a similar hardware feel to the N97;
"" would lack the platform and mainsteam candy-feeling of the iPhone yet will have the same amount of religious fervor (let's call this one even)

The N900 still is only assumed to be a phone; which technically places it in a different class as these other devices until told otherwise.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
display resolution of iphone and palm pre is 480x320 not 480x360.
do you really call a capacitive display as a good thing???

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
If the Pre's screen had a higher resolution, I would be watching its evolution more closely. Does anyone think that Maemo 5 is going to be as slick as WebOS?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
If the Pre's screen had a higher resolution, I would be watching its evolution more closely. Does anyone think that Maemo 5 is going to be as slick as WebOS?
itīs going to be even more slick... trust me ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
about webos: i dont even feel comfortable with web applications that go beyond sending a form from a static web page... i'd never use a whole device based on web technology.

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
itīs going to be even more slick... trust me ;-)
If so, coupled with an 800x480 display, we're gonna be in for a real treat. Apple's response will be interesting. I think I'll go make some popcorn and pull up a chair.