Bored and frustrated with the selection of mobile phones on the market right now. Curious to hear opinions and rationalizations.

Extra credit bonus question: Will Symbian^3 devices like the N8 get the full Symbian^4 user experience even though it will break many legacy symbian applications that currently run on the N8?

David

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
There is no Symbian^3 or symbian^4 anymore.
There is only Symbian, starting from Symbian^3 it will just be a continous evolution
all future updates including new UI have been promised for the what was Symbian^3 devices
http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...her-for-users/

So MeeGo will ship First to answer your question

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Which year - 2011, 2012?
Stop asking about future - live today!
Nokia always will promise to launch this or that - wake up!

It will take a long time Nokia to gain again top-segment ot mobile phones. If they do this, of course.

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Austria
When MeeGo is finished, it will eat all other desktop, smartphone, TV, in-vehicle, etc operating systems like windowsXP/7, ios, android, symbian... So wait a few years

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by AndiThebest View Post
When MeeGo is finished, it will eat all other desktop, smartphone, TV, in-vehicle, etc operating systems like windowsXP/7, ios, android, symbian... So wait a few years
OK, super!
But in these few years the competition will sleep, yes?
No sir, at this moment Nokia is not in good condition and there is no excuses for slept last 3-4 years!
Even if MeeGo will be a good OS - no one can predict what will happen and what will be launched from iOS and Android in next days. Also the competition has a lot better customer service than Nokia nowadays - they have to work in this direction too.
So is there anyone who still think about Symbian4 or MeeGo?
Again - live today!

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
There is no Symbian^3 or symbian^4 anymore.
There is only Symbian, starting from Symbian^3 it will just be a continous evolution
all future updates including new UI have been promised for the what was Symbian^3 devices
http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...her-for-users/

So MeeGo will ship First to answer your question
I'm very interested to see how this plays out in the long run. I've been a fan of symbian and hope this works out but i have a feeling its going to end up like android with multiple versions on different phones.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by lfcobra View Post
I'm very interested to see how this plays out in the long run. I've been a fan of symbian and hope this works out but i have a feeling its going to end up like android with multiple versions on different phones.
You mean like now, where there's (at least) S60v3, S60v3 FP1, S60v3 FP2, S60v5 and Symbian^3?

I just hope meego is not like that guns and roses album. 20 years and millions in the making for a flop...

Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I just hope meego is not like that guns and roses album. 20 years and millions in the making for a flop...
No I think it's going to be more like Avartar...

Originally Posted by Odd_gunnic View Post
No I think it's going to be more like Avartar...
The story of white settlers "diplomatically" settling in Africa with superior warfare and technology as to take the Gold deposits. They come across unseen large animals (elephant, rhino, crocodile, lion) and within the heart of the conflict, you realize it is not a "dimplomatic" settlement but basically a war against the resistance.

If you really want a great 3D movie, nothing beats Toy Story 3!

Tags
just shoot me