Notices

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAWAII !!!
And all the best to you!
;-)))

echo "0" > /proc/sys/vm/page-cluster
Please, correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt this one makes sense, as flash memory appears to be written in 256kB pages. So, the original number of 5 that translates into 32*4096=128kB makes more sense. You may even increase it to 6!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Yes, 0 makes no sense, alot of the other various stuff I've seen here and there makes no sense either, but the placebo effect seems to override new slowdowns anyway...

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
So we should see which of the parameters are really useful and which ones are neutral or dangerous... By now tcp_timestamps and page-cluster are considered guilty.
Can you suggest some kind of benchmark to evaluate if pulling them out of the script can make a difference.

Or, what about a double-blind cross-over scheme for an in-vivo experiment? Where a number of volunteers load in blind 3 or 4 different parameter schemes, in a latin square order, and evaluates the effect on an analog visual scale, and then we get the data and make the stats?

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
Yes, 0 makes no sense, alot of the other various stuff I've seen here and there makes no sense either, but the placebo effect seems to override new slowdowns anyway...
I really really think someone should try and package COMPCACHE for the N900. It may make a huge difference, by providing fast intermediate swap area in RAM (where swapped out pages are stored in gzipped form).

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
So we should see which of the parameters are really useful and which ones are neutral or dangerous... By now tcp_timestamps and page-cluster are considered guilty.
I know for sure that the swappiness thing helps. You can test it by running Fennec or any other memory hogging application. The kill_oob_* thing looks sane, and so does the laptop_mode (based on its description found with Google). The tcp_* stuff is petty and probably does not make any difference to the network performance (unless somebody proves otherwise). Can't say much about the rest.

Will surely try this out once I get my n900 back

What does setting dirty_*expire* to 0 do? Well either way if 0 means immediately it's kinda bad for same reason as setting page-cluster to 0, you want data to have a chance to accumulate before it gets written. Not that good if it means "never" either, data loss would happen everytime you have an unexpected shutdown..

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
i also wanna know the pros and cons of each change please, also, a GUI for toggling each parameter individually would be great.

Btw, why you don't put this on -devel?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
i also wanna know the pros and cons of each change please, also, a GUI for toggling each parameter individually would be great.

Btw, why you don't put this on -devel?
This has a very easy answer: because before I learn enough Python and/or Qt to make a GUI app - or before I'm proficient enough in those kernel parameters - well the N900 will be in the Nokia Espoo museum as the first of 150 Meego devices already out
Seriously, guys: I just packed the thing in a deb because it made my n900 so pleasant to use and I wished to share it. Can't do much more

But, I like the idea of the double-blind cross-over experiment. Anybody willing to volunteer?

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada lubes, bada rox, swappiness, tuning