Posts: 47 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Johannesburg, South Africa
Hey guys,

I've been using the N900 for quite a while now, but recently noticed that it is getting slow especially during video/audio playback - with jerks and intermittent pauses etc as if I'm playing a scratched disc.

I have attached a screen shot of my task list (top) and the used memory is about 231MB. This is just after re-booting the device.

I have MFE installed so modest is probably always running.
I also have the ShortcutD (proximity and camera) thing running.

I'm sure this isn't normal, so any suggestions on how to fix this (other than flashing the device)?

Thanks guys.
Attached Images

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
What is happening when you took that screenshot? Are you listening music? Asking because of pulseaudio on top of list.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
What is happening when you took that screenshot? Are you listening music? Asking because of pulseaudio on top of list.
Not listening to music, but I've got the media player widget on the desktop.

There is nothing running, at least nothing that i see when i hit the menu/task manager button.

The only thing that appears there is the console running "top".

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
okeyyy...but still you got pulseaudio hitting cpu and also alarmed using cpu? Also hildons-desktop taking cpu but thatīs okey if itīs not also constantly taking that much.

Only processes taking constantly 1 or more % of cpu with idle N900 should be xorg.

In xterm:
killall pulseaudio

also what have you installed?
maemo-list-user-packages

Also i would recommend trying swappiness trick. Search forum for more information.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
I have attached my package list - but its a little difficult to read without any line breaks etc. is there anything I can do to get it as a formatted list or is that asking for too much?

I killed pulseaudio in root mode, but that didn't improve the situation much.

I also see that image viewer comes in the top list and i don't have it running. Are the apps not closing properly? Is that a possibility? Have you seen this before?

Thanks for the help slender.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Installed Packages.txt (3.1 KB, 80 views)

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by sting04 View Post
Hey guys,

I've been using the N900 for quite a while now, but recently noticed that it is getting slow especially during video/audio playback - with jerks and intermittent pauses etc as if I'm playing a scratched disc.

I have attached a screen shot of my task list (top) and the used memory is about 231MB. This is just after re-booting the device.

I have MFE installed so modest is probably always running.
I also have the ShortcutD (proximity and camera) thing running.

I'm sure this isn't normal, so any suggestions on how to fix this (other than flashing the device)?

Thanks guys.
From another thread I heard that camkeyd is using many system resources. I am using shortcutd as camkeyd substitude and the result is much better battery life.
Hope this helps.
Regards.

There's about 72M free there, though no information about swap use. Seems normal for a freshly booted N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jorjino View Post
From another thread I heard that camkeyd is using many system resources. I am using shortcutd as camkeyd substitude and the result is much better battery life.
Hope this helps.
Regards.
I'm not using camkeyd. I have installed Shortcutd though :-).

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
There's about 72M free there, though no information about swap use. Seems normal for a freshly booted N900.
It says 231MB used, about 9MB free and the last one is about 72MB.

Shouldn't we be looking at the free memory? What is that 72MB for (c)?

Available memory is approximately memory used for buffers and cache, plus reclaimable slab and perhaps also memory used for swapcache, plus actual unused memory.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post: