Via "Red Pill" mode, I can install the real GNU utils, but they all seem to conflict with BusyBox, so I'd have to uninstall it first.

Has anyone ditched BusyBox for the GNU utils?

I like the full fledged versions better than BusyBox's lightweight implementations, but I like having a working N810 even better.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
I second this question. Many many things in the repositories conflict with Busybox. I would love to install core-utils and gnutils. Has anyone tried to do this? Please offer a tip or how-to if you can.

I'd say install them in a different path, then change your PATH variable to point to the alternate utilites when you want to use them (in your $HOME/.profile, not in the system-wide /etc/profile). That way, they are only visible when you want, but if another component relies on the Busybox version (they have different command line switches in some cases), they can still be accessed in the normal location.

Originally Posted by derekp View Post
I'd say install them in a different path, then change your PATH variable to point to the alternate utilites when you want to use them (in your $HOME/.profile, not in the system-wide /etc/profile). That way, they are only visible when you want, but if another component relies on the Busybox version (they have different command line switches in some cases), they can still be accessed in the normal location.
So THAT'S the profile filename for ash. Thanks.

I just kept editing the /etc/profile one.

I take it you cannot install them via the package manager if you install via a different path? If so, do you have any tips on how to install to a different path?

should be pretty easy to repackage the utils to coexist with busybox. the packages would need to restore the symlinks when uninstalled. anybody feeling friendly to make this happen?