Poll: Do your N900 have Dead or Stuck pixel?
Poll Options
Do your N900 have Dead or Stuck pixel?

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Hafnia
Just got my N900 for Christmas, and just love it, coming from N97 it is pleasant speed boost, and overall the UI is just wonderful, a part from some shortcomings here and there.

But now I found two dead pixels, that are "stuck-on" kind, hate dead pixels, and normally I would just return for a replacement like a DOA phone, but it is sold out from all stores, and will be sometime in January before it returns to stores here in Denmark, so it is not possible just to go in the store and get a new one.

Other option is to send it back, and wait to get a new one when next batch get here, but man more waiting is just not an option for me, so wondering if this later is possible, within the warranty period, to get it fixed or replaced after the 14 days DOA option runs out?

Anyway, please try this with your N900, to clarify if this is a common issue, since several reports same problem:

1. Go to this website on your N900, http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php
2. Turn brightness to max on your N900 (a darker room is best to spot dead pixels).
3. Click on Black from the link above, zoome in so the complete screen is black, and then go to full screen. If there is dot on the screen that lights up, then maybe you have a dead pixel(s) (very small dot).
4. Maybe try the other colours to see if you got stuck-on or stuck-off dead pixel.

Please report your result here, to figure out if this is common issue on the N900...

--- 26 December 2009 ---

EDIT: If you got stuck pixel (light pixel), then maybe it is possible to fix it, just simply by running the video below (transfer it to your device).

You should run it several times a day for several days (or until the pixel is fixed). Sadly N900 does not support "repeat" in the video player, else it would be nice to run this video all night, so you don't have to manually start it over and over again.

Download video here: http://jump.fm/HUAJE

NOTE: No guarantee it will work, on only possible to "relive" stuck pixels, that are light or white (you can see them on the black test above).

--- 27 December 2009 ---

Just tried to take images of the Stuck Pixels on my N900, to illustrate how it looks. It is very hard though, several attempts and not really a good image, but the best is the one below.

Nokia N900 Stuck Pixels, black image brightness set to max:

Below trying to show the dust and hair I got under the screen, the dust is noticeable when using the unit, but only in lighter contents, could be mistaken for dead pixel.

Nokia N900 Dust and Hair particle, using flashlight with screen off:

Know there is more dust, but all other is outside the screen, very hard to clean screen totally, this was the best I could do .

--- 5 January 2010 ---

EDIT: This is another way to possibly fix stuck pixels, go to the website below and click "start the test", let it run for as long as you wish (longer the better), keeping the screen on using "Simple Brightness Applet".

http://www.topflashers.com/etc/screenfix/

NOTE: No guarantee here, may work or may not work, but worth a try, have tried leaving my phone with 3+ stuck pixels running this test all night, but so far not fixed any of my pixels.

Thanks to zwer for this link.

Last edited by whc; 2010-01-05 at 10:40.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whc For This Useful Post:
i have got like 4-5 on black. 1 on green.

I have one, not sending mine back just for that. everything else works perfect.
I'm a perfectionist but I think I can live with one dead pixel

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
That pixel died for your sins!!!

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Don't know if it's a general problem, but I'm waiting for my N900 precisely because of that - the only reseller in town that sells the N900 had only one left and it had 4 nasty dead pixels (2 always on, 1 always off, 1 dead green subpixel) so I'm waiting for the next shipment...

As for your case, if it's just stuck (but not dead) pixel/subpixel, a gentle massage over it might help, or you can try with a small utility I wrote long time ago @ http://www.topflashers.com/etc/screenfix/ - it will give the screen a run for its money. Now I don't know how well Flash behaves on N900 (although it's pretty lightweight), does the fullscreen work, nor could it reach screen redraw rate of the N900, but it can do wonders for stuck pixels on desktop monitors. Of course, if the pixel/subpixel is dead, there is no help...

Cheers...

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
dead pixel are a general problem for ALL devices that use lcd-screens.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
I have no dead pixels on mine. Every single one works 100%.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
No dead pixels here.

But manufacturers generally don't see single digit dead pixels on such a fine resolution display to be a big deal, and in my experience they are more common on such a display.

Because at those PPI's, it's usually very difficult to notice under normal usage.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
no dead or stuck pixels here...

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Texas
no dead or problem pixels...

Tags
stop the pixel genocide!!, who is murdering pixels??