I know you can do Video Instant Messaging with 2 Nokia N800's, but can I go from my Nokia N800 to a home computer with a webcam and some sort of software?

Last edited by moviecouple; 2007-10-28 at 20:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to moviecouple For This Useful Post:
After some investigating, not effectively. Gizmo is the only way and the video/ is beta. I tried v3 with desktop and a n800 and its buggy, crashes often.

Originally Posted by moviecouple View Post
I know you can do Video Instant Messaging with 2 Nokia N800's, but can I go from my Nokia N800 to a home computer with a webcam and some sort of software?
Wait for the new OS release.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by amigokin View Post
Wait for the new OS release.
Curios minds want to know. A new OS beyond Vista?

Seriously, what application on the PC/Mac/Linux side are you thinking would interoperate with the N800's Video Conference App?

Craig...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
This is something I"m interesting in too; I've a friend that deaf, that uses video conferencing quite a lot. Of course, he's on a Mac, probably the best platform for such a thing, but being able to do a video conference from the N800 or N810 to a Mac would be spiffy. Is OS 2008 supposed to have better support for such a thing?

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Belgium
I guess OS2008 with Gizmo video ?

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
From what I've seen, the N800 (OS2007/RTCOMM) seems to use jingle-video over Jabber/XMPP for video confrencing. It's not unique to the gTalk service, that's just one of the more popular Jabber/XMPP based servers people use. I can (for example) get a N800 to N800 video confrence going via my own private Jabber server.

The problem is that (suprisingly) the N800/OS2007 seems to be the only Jabber/XMPP client on the planet to have jingle-video support. Even Google's own gTalk PC client doesn't even have it, and they basically authored the jingle-audio, jingle-video specs! I guess if you look at it, Nokia is just way ahead of the curve, not that it helps.

Anyways, I *think* that as soon as there are PC Jabber clients that support jingle-video we'll have some real options. Why gTalk isn't there already is a mystery, but they did buy a video-centric company pretty recently. Other Jabber clients like PSI and Coccinella have threads indicating they are looking at video also.

Now, from what I've read, OS2008 has promised two things:

1) Support for video over SIP via h.263 (normal, not h.263+) per Arki Jaaksi's blog.
2) "Video calling between two devices or to any compatible PC " from the "Communication Features" on http://europe.nokia.com/A4579471

Thus, there seem to be more video to PC options coming with OS2008. Maybe Nokia has a jingle-video Jabber client coming, or know of one? If someone has an N810 or OS2008 and wanted to place a SIP call to me I can verify that h.263 works to the PC though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moonshine For This Useful Post:
Posts: 57 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Belgium
Hi Moonshine, thanks for this quick and detailed reply.

The Following User Says Thank You to janjansenbe For This Useful Post:
so OS 2008 is out now and this is something I seriously want. IE nokia to PC two way video chat. Suggestions?

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
I tried Gizmo 3.1 (PC) to Gizmo on N800 (OS08) ... no. Not even voice.
Googletalk (PC) to Googletalk/InternetCall on N800 (OS08)... no video, voice OK.

The forum quick search scr@ws up the new browser in OS08...

Back to Live Messenger on ASUS Eee...