Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@chenliangchen,
the problem is not in your receiver. It was my understanding that Half left out BlusLee's photo on purpose. I do not quite share his enthusiasm that censoring his effort is somehow going to "inspire" him but hi-dee-ho, Half makes the rules, not me.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong. Mea culpa.

On a completely unrelated topic, I really like Half's entry. Very nice and sharp macro with good light and play of shadows. Shame on the background though, that somehow spoils the effect. Therefore my vote goes to #5, robthebold.

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-08-29 at 21:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
I don't understand, I copied the full photo from the site at which the thumbnail linked to.
BTW. pichlo, I really wanted to find a spiral staircase.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I'm going with 2 Acidspunk.

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Half-Life_4_Life View Post
I don't understand, I copied the full photo from the site at which the thumbnail linked to.
Hmm, it appears that the link you've got points to an html page on Postimage.org. I would guess that it has some magic html that blocks other sites from embedding the page (whether or not they intended that behavior).

You could instead try to link directly to the jpg entity on Postimage.org, which seems to be publicly viewable. I'm seeing this link as:

http://s16.postimg.org/l047d222s/20150825_020.jpg

or,

EDIT: BTW, I think Postimg.org may be trying to fake people out by placing a ".jpg" extension on non-jpeg files. That, or using some magic to detect if people are linking directly to .jpg files, and redirecting them. Either way, bad website behavior...

EDIT2: Yeah, now that I look at it, my link looks substantially the same as your link, other than the randomly generated subdirectory name. So Postimg.org must be doing something annoying.

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-08-29 at 21:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
I vote for # 1 Half-Life_4_Life. Really nice photo. With a plain background it would have looked even better.
I don't think the flower (5. Robthebold) has anything to do with spirals. There are circles yes, but no spirals.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Fibonacci spirals in nature

I wanted to find a sunflower or coneflower where the spirals were more obvious, but I struck out.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I meant to take a picture of a drop of blood (full of DNA "spirals") but had barely time to breathe this month. Maybe some other time

Come to think of it, robthebold's was the only entry containing actual spirals. All the other ones were helixes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix

I do realize that some languages do not make the distinction. Including colloquial English

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-08-30 at 06:43. Reason: Factoid about spirals vs helixes

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I meant to take a picture of a drop of blood (full of DNA "spirals") but had barely time to breathe this month. Maybe some other time

Come to think of it, robthebold's was the only entry containing actual spirals. All the other ones were helixes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix

I do realize that some languages do not make the distinction. Including colloquial English
I did not know they were different. I even did not know it was two words in Chinese as well. What a mistake!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
I didn't know this as well. And BluesLee's photo is displaying proprely for me, I don't know what else I could do.. BTW, thanks for the votes on my entry.
I've just arrived at the seaside and will report back the voting results later.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Wait, what? Actually, I forgot that this month had 31 days.
So voting is still open.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:

Tags
august, competition, phone, shapes, spirals