Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
February is finally here and along with it a new theme for the camera phone competition. And I've won again, I wouldn't have thought it could happen again.

For this month I've chosen black and white, I didn't want to come up with a theme that was too hard to do because for instance people in Australia don't have snow right now if you know what I mean. I wanted to do a theme that everyone could do but it could be really creative as well and not boring. So black and white it is. B&W allows for some nice shadows or gradients, it's great for capturing the light and the emotions as it is, no distracting colours in the background. As one photographer put it: B&W captures people's feelings, colour captures their clothes.

Here are a few links and ideas.
Oh and the photos in the first link are mine.
Photos, tips1, tips2, examples, examples.

The rules:

Photos must be taken during this month
Photos must be taken by the posting member
Photos must be taken with a camera phone
Users post only one photo per entry
Users can change the entry only once
Users must name the phone they used
(so I could include it for voting and such)
Last three days of this month are for voting

Last month's competition.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Congratulations on winning!

For B&W for most phones does that require post editing? I can't remember if N900 or N9 can take black and white pictures by the default camera app without post modification?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Yeah, I've got a black & white option on my Android's camera, but I can't find anything like that on my N900 (running the standard camera app). I think you'd have to do post-processing to achieve that...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yeah, I've got a black & white option on my Android's camera, but I can't find anything like that on my N900 (running the standard camera app). I think you'd have to do post-processing to achieve that...
I was concerning the same - I can take B&W photos easily by default camera on my DMC-CM1 but I don't think it's that easy on N900 or N9, which are still the main devices we use to compete here.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I was concerning the same - I can take B&W photos easily by default camera on my DMC-CM1 but I don't think it's that easy on N900 or N9, which are still the main devices we use to compete here.
We have grayscale in CSSU camera-ui.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
If you aren't able to shoot B&W in-camera just grayscale it afterwards but please, don't change the contrast or brightness, don't create a mess at least.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Congratulations on winning!

For B&W for most phones does that require post editing? I can't remember if N900 or N9 can take black and white pictures by the default camera app without post modification?
I'd never checked before, but N9 stock camera and camera+ both have b&w filter. Also gallery editor has a black and white effect.

In addition, the contest is 'Black and white' but doesn't explicitly specify it must be a greyscale image. Perhaps it's a panda . . . Or a black cat in a snowstorm . . .

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Does it have to be black-grey-white, or would it be acceptable to have part of it black-grey-white, and another part of it full-colour?

Thank you. Best wishes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Oh, I'm sorry I've made a confusion. It's only greyscale.
See, I'm not good at giving tasks or themes.
I've shot some photos today while I was walking my dog up on the hill close to my house and street.
The sun was setting and it gave nice long shadows and opportunities, which I grabbed.
Here is the album on Flickr. Because I don't want to spam this thread. I couldn't decide with which photo to enter the competition so I maybe make up my mind soon or just shoot better ones.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Here is my entry for this month. Will be busy in coming weeks so I decide to submit an entry first. (At least I can amend once.)

This is the Round Church in Cambridge, one of the oldest buildings in town. Monochrome gives a feeling of time travelling, to the past. Taken with Panasonic CM1 today (2nd Feb).

Original picture in high res.
Attached Images

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
black&white, camera, competition, february, phone