Any suggestions for something that can transmit EDGE over bluetooth for use with Cingular or Tmobile? Something inexpensive but not difficult to configure? Thanks!

I personally am holding out for T-Mobile to release the SDA.

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/ar...ont_paginate,1

I am hoping for a $200 price point and a good color (black).

I asked for the same advice over here in France when I ordered my 770 and was pointed towards the Nokia 6021 : a no-frills "business" phone (no camera, no flashy stuff) but nicely made and pleasant to use, the absolute cheapest in the Nokia world that had both EDGE and BT : under 150 euro, which should be at most as many dollars in less tax-intensive places :-)
Works like a charm with the 770, as you'd expect.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Virginia, USA
T-Mobile in the U.S. might have an EDGE network, but the company certainly doesn't sell many handsets that work with it. The cheapest is the $149 Nokia 6101, but it DOESN'T include Bluetooth, so it won't work with the N770.

None of the Motorola's (Razr, Pebl) support EDGE either, so you're pretty much out of luck unless you buy an unlocked phone.

In terms of unlocked phones, look hard at Nokia models because many models include EDGE. Overall, few manufacturers appear to be supporting EDGE, which is kind of disappointing.

Cingular, which sells way more phones than T-Mobile, probably has a wider selection to choose from.

I will check out the 6021. Any other suggestions?

uh yeah, the T-Mobile SDA. Has Edge and bluetooth and comes out this or next month.

Originally Posted by rr0123
Any suggestions for something that can transmit EDGE over bluetooth for use with Cingular or Tmobile? Something inexpensive but not difficult to configure? Thanks!
nokia 6230 - us - unlocked $229 USD. From a carrier with a contract you should be able to get it locked for a lot less.

bluetooth + class 10 edge + small size + great RF + excellent battery life + unlocked =

You can configure your phone for your carrier, cingular or tmobile, using SMS from nokiausa.com. I did it this way and it works fine with AT&T wireless mmode. I assume it should work as easily with other GSM carriers.

nokia settings via sms

The 6230 is pretty good but SDA has miniSD and wifi to boot. Currently Cingular has the phone but sans wifi going for $200.

I ordered a Nokia 6230i, which is listed as working, but it doesn't. I called Nokia support and was informed that Bluetooth DUN on the 6230 series doesn't work.
It wasn't clear if it was just a bad batch of phones or what, but I'm sending it back.

Maybe I'll try the 6021 instead. Any recommendations on the best place to buy one in the US?

My 4 year old Ericsson t39m has bluetooth DUN, no EDGE naturally. But there $40 on ebay and work OK.

If a carrier doesn't have the phone you want, ebay has close to market prices or froogle can pften find you a vendor.