Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
I haven't actually cancelled my order, but are on the fence at the moment. In a conversation with @debexpert he told me that "they [N9 and Jolla] are friends."
Nevertheless, I used my n900 until the touchscreen almost stopped working, returned to my feature phone and just recently bought an N9. Which really blew my mind.

Except from the FM transmitter it features mostly everything I wanted. Swype, Fahrplan (Nokia Labs similar to Android's Offis), gpodder, twitter, billboard (didn't knew, yet great)... The device itself came at about 25% of the price of the Jolla. At the moment I don't see the benfit that I'll get from paying 400+ EUR for a device that rocks but that I don't need.

As written above, I am still on the fence. Today I'll cancel my newspaper subscription and reduce some insurances so this evening will be crucial.

icke

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Are you certain that the promise was "phone in your hand" vs "ability to order a phone/you will have a phone assigned to you"?
Pretty much.Here is exactly what Jolla said in the launch FAQ :

"Can others who didn’t pre-order get the device before me?
All pre-order customers are being prioritized before everyone else, including all our international customers."

By the way, this is also one of the places where they categorically state "all the pre-order customers from all countries in both 1st and 2nd pre-booking campaigns will be served in the priority order they have placed their original orders"

Last edited by strongm; 2013-12-10 at 12:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by icke View Post
I haven't actually cancelled my order, but are on the fence at the moment. In a conversation with @debexpert he told me that "they [N9 and Jolla] are friends."
Nevertheless, I used my n900 until the touchscreen almost stopped working, returned to my feature phone and just recently bought an N9. Which really blew my mind.

Except from the FM transmitter it features mostly everything I wanted. Swype, Fahrplan (Nokia Labs similar to Android's Offis), gpodder, twitter, billboard (didn't knew, yet great)... The device itself came at about 25% of the price of the Jolla. At the moment I don't see the benfit that I'll get from paying 400+ EUR for a device that rocks but that I don't need.

As written above, I am still on the fence. Today I'll cancel my newspaper subscription and reduce some insurances so this evening will be crucial.

icke
Welcome to 2011

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pipould For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by fullauto View Post
And why you convinced that it's the MSM8930AA in the Jolla, why not MSM8930? Is there any evidence anywhere?
Because Jolla guys (employees) said so.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ BeiJing China
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Because Jolla guys (employees) said so.
Yes, I see the reply by the guys who chose that SoC.

And Qualcomm is an interesting company which hides its own product in black.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
-Difficulties like the difficulty of keeping their promise about first wave pre-orders being the first ones to receive the the phone
IIRC they just guaranteed I'd be able to get one. Otherwise I'd have to travel to Finland to buy one.

-Giving people the option to pay the 100€ with Paypal, then not not giving the option to pay 299€ with Paypal, thus screwing people with no credit cards.
I paid both with PayPal. Had to as my credit card got refused which is quite comical as it's a PayPal credit card that pulls the money straight out of my PayPal account anyway.

-That phones would be delivered in the same order as they were ordered,.
Have we any evidence they aren't? Obviously people closer to Finland are going to get them before people further away but as long as I'm in the first batch of devices shipped then what's the problem if someone get's their phone a week before me?

-The 6 continents where LTE works apparently being Middle Earth, Narnia, Valhalla, Hades, Atlantis and Elop's pajamas.
Not really a big deal for me personally to be honest since I'm in the UK and don't live in one of the cities that has 4G. Plus unless I'm tethered to a laptop and demand speed, 3.5G is usually faster than I need.

-That I could walk into a DNA store tomorrow and buy the phone before almost everyone who pre-ordered, including my own order.
Right, so Jolla should stop selling phones until you've got yours? Do you realise how ridiculous that is?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
I really hope for Jolla's own good, that DNA clearly labels the phones with information about Beta status of the OS, from tomorrow there will be random Joe's buying the phone, not only the geeks/fanbois anymore, so word of mouth could hurt

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
-Giving people the option to pay the 100€ with Paypal, then not not giving the option to pay 299€ with Paypal, thus screwing people with no credit cards.
I paid the latter amount with Paypal, and after that they seemed to have withdrawn the option. This is possibly not their fault; Paypal are notoriously awkward with unestablished businesses.

In other news @JollaHQ just tweeted an apology for the delays:

Jolla ‏@JollaHQ 6m We’ve had unplanned challenges in shipping. We’re truly sorry for the delay & working 24/7 on the shipments.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Bolivia
Come on guys!

I live in South America and I will wait for several months until having a Jolla phone in my hands (I do not know if I will find one right here or I will have to ask some friend living in Europe to send me one; the shipping and customs will increase the cost a lot, but I know it will worth it).

Jolla is a very small company that, I think, is doing its best to bring their phones into the most of people; let's support them; they do not have the human or economical power to produce thousands of phones quickly, so, let's be patient.

I am pretty sure the experience will be the best in its class.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ebasconp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by fullauto View Post
And Qualcomm is an interesting company which hides its own product in black.
It's not only Qualcomm. Especially in the embedded electronics sector there are many companies that are producing specialized micro-processors/-controllers that e.g. are not available to the general public, and so no need to keep them on a freely browsable catalogue.

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post: