Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I thought you were joking.
There is around 26 000 Russians in Finland.

Sorry for the off topic.
I did...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Oblomow View Post
According to Wikipedia, the 8930 supports clock frequencies only up to 1.2GHz, so unlikely that jolla will use it.

I think this is much less of an issue nowadays with the quality openstreetmaps has reached. I'm using almost exclusively osmAnd on android instead of google maps, because of offline capabilities & more detailed maps in my area. Unless one needs things like real-time traffic info or Streetview, it's IMHO equal or superior to the mapping applications from the big players. Also, modRana and Marble are very decent on maemo.
Well the msm8930 in the Galaxy s4 mini with a adreno 305 gpu is clocked at 1.7ghz, I believe it is krait 400 cores though. The S4 mini also has the same qhd resolution which I believe someone else mentioned.

Even if it's the msm8960 with adreno 225 it still will be a nice step up over the N9. So performance should be noticeably better.

The Following User Says Thank You to MaximilianJenius For This Useful Post:
Snapdragon is good news, since potentially it will be possible to use Freedreno GPU driver here without a need for libhybris.

But these by far aren't full specs. What about the modem and supported networks?

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ BeiJing China
Originally Posted by Oblomow View Post
According to Wikipedia, the 8930 supports clock frequencies only up to 1.2GHz, so unlikely that jolla will use it.
That's wrong information on Wikipedia.

You can now see my reply again:

In fact, Qualcomm has a MSM8930 MDP, it blocked Clock Speed in 1.4GHz as well.

MSM8930's frist release was a SoC in Snapdragon S4 Plus series (end of 2012),
after Snapdragon 2013 new series announced,
Qualcomm put it in to the Snapdragon 400 series.

Last edited by fullauto; 2013-09-23 at 03:59. Reason: fix mistake

The Following User Says Thank You to fullauto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ BeiJing China
Originally Posted by MaximilianJenius View Post
Well the msm8930 in the Galaxy s4 mini with a adreno 305 gpu is clocked at 1.7ghz, I believe it is krait 400 cores though. The S4 mini also has the same qhd resolution which I believe someone else mentioned.

Even if it's the msm8960 with adreno 225 it still will be a nice step up over the N9. So performance should be noticeably better.
In Galaxy S4 Mini, the SoC is MSM8930AB, the top version in Snapdragon 400, it support HD display, but the phone only has a qHD display. And it is a Dual-Core Krait 300. Only Snapdragon 800 use Krait 400.

You can find some information via: http://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/p...-400-200/specs

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Maybe they go all Glonass, After all. Isn't Finland 50% Russian?
Yeah right, just as asia is 50% australian.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I hope we see much more about maps soon. It's one of those things that will be hard to implement for a company like Jolla.
NavFree is an excellent (offline) map and navigation application for Android. Maybe it works in Jolla device also then.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroid.OSM.ALL

Google Maps on Android sucks nowadays. No way to control what maps are cached and routing + searching does not work offline.

(I love ModRana in N900 and there is a (alpha/beta) Android port also, but it didn't really work in SGS3 and left map and other files scattered all around filesystem.)

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
(I love ModRana in N900
Thanks!

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
and there is a (alpha/beta) Android port also, but it didn't really work in SGS3 and left map and other files scattered all around filesystem.)
Hmm, that shouldn't happen, there is a hardcoded path for map data in Android:
Code:
/sdcard/modrana/maps
And I don't thing there is any fallback that might make it write to another folder.

BTW, this is currently the latest modRana package for Android:
http://www.modrana.org/packages/andr...ana_0.43.1.apk

BTW, the current modRana Android GUI is based on Qt4@QtQuick 1 & QtComponents, like the Harmattan GUI.

I've started work on a Qt5/QtQuick 2.0 based GUI, which is targeted mainly on Sailfish, but it should work quite nicely on other Qt5 platforms, including Android.

Last edited by MartinK; 2013-09-22 at 17:08.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Thanks!

Hmm, that shouldn't happen, there is a hardcoded path for map data in Android:
Code:
/sdcard/modrana/maps
And I don't thing there is any fallback that might make it write to another folder.

BTW, this is currently the latest modRana package for Android:
http://www.modrana.org/packages/andr...ana_0.43.1.apk

BTW, the current modRana Android GUI is based on Qt4@QtQuick 1 & QtComponents, like the Harmattan GUI.

I've started work on a Qt5/QtQuick 2.0 based GUI, which is targeted mainly on Sailfish, but it should work quite nicely on other Qt5 platforms, including Android.
OK, thanks. Will try out the newest version.
I remembered wrong, it wasn't filesystem where it left files all around, but in the Gallery system, all the map tiles were seen as images and it messed the Gallery up. (There may be a way to exclude the modrana directories to be seen by system as places for image files, but didn't then search instructions for it. There were the similar problems in the N900 way back also.)

I did install Qt frameworks also and Modrana kind of worked, but was unusable GUI-wise then. Some things in Modrana are better then in NavFree so if it eventually will work good in Android, I am sure many Android-users would use it.

And back to the topic, Modrana deserves to be in the Sailfish device also, so thanks for working on it.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by fullauto View Post
That's wrong information.

you can now see my replay again:

In fact, Qualcomm have a MSM8930 MDP, it blocked Clock Speed in 1.4GHz as well.

MSM8930's frist release was a SoC in Snapdragon S4 Plus series, after Snapdragon 2013 new series announced, Qualcomm put it in the Snapdragon 400 series.
What may think its a snapdragon 400? It may very well be 200 too...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post: