Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
So why if people all agree that comparing the iPhone to the N800 is not a valid comparison, they still all do it?
Personally I don't really see the comparison, but I don't see why putting one down brings the other one up. I think they are both great devices for different things.

I will probably buy an iPhone at some point when it has 3G (can't go back to a non 3G phone at this point), a camera and at least flash (or some sdk - I am betting flash will be there first) which I am sure it will come, but it is still a different device.

Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
Steps to Call:

1. Phone Button
2. Press chosen name in Favorites

Calling <Name>...
Actually, it's more like this:

1. Phone button
2. Scroll through hundreds of names
3. Keep scolling, almost there
4. Just a few more flicks
5. Press chosen name

Calling <Name>...

Steps to kill N95 battery in 2.5-3 hours:

1. Turn on GPS
2. Turn on Wifi

Dead by 1pm, right after your lunch break!
Only a ***** would walk/drive around with both GPS and wi-fi turned on constantly. And you'll quickly find that no one does that other than reviewers who have already made up their mind to hate the phone in the first place.

Tell you what, turn on the wi-fi on the iPhone as well as the GPS and start streaming internet radio and see how long the iPhone's battery lasts.
Oh wait, the iPhone doesn't have built-in GPS and can't stream internet radio.
Why the phuck are people buying the iPhone again? Oh yeah, the "cool" flick-scrolling and featuerless web browser.
Sorry, but that's not worth even close to the $2000 over the next two years that iPhone's going to cost you.

Nokia's high end products all seem to be "Technology Demo's". They suck in real world use. After 3-4 years it eventually trickles down and they improve their mass market stuff. "Ohh it has potential!! its gonna be amazing once someone writes something cool with this SDK Nokia gave us." Then its replaced with a new version before anyone does anything with it. But its all good, new technology demonstration! MORE CAPABILITIES! Zero integration!
You've obviously never bothered to even look at the wide array of software out there for the new N and E-series devices running S60 3rd Edition.
Show me the FREE podcast client for the iPhone? There isn't one.
Show me the FREE SIP/VoIP client for the iPhone? There isn't one there either.
Show me the native universal IM/Chat client for the iPhone? There isn't one of those for the iPhone.
Google maps? I think just about every Nokia phone had that long before the iPhone came out.
I drop my N95 into the car mount and can use any of about 5 different GPS navigation applications that will guide me directly to where I need to go while at the same time keeping the phone charged. Can't do that with the iPhone.
A2DP? Suprisingly it's NOT present in the iPhone while it's been present in the N95 from day one. And guess what? Even the N800 can now do A2DP, even though it takes a little command-line skill to get it setup and running.
ANd Nokia's already addressing the poor battery life in the current N95 with a specialized US version that has a bigger battery as well as support for US-based 3G bands - well, the one AT&T uses anyway. That says they're listening to their customers. Nokia's last earning report stated that they've sold 1.5 million N95s world-wide to date with around 400,000 of them being in the United States alone. Not bad considering there isn't a single US carrier displaying them in any store, complete lack of big-media advertising, and only two Nokia stores in the entire country displaying them.
Battery-life, schmattery-life. I get home and drop the phone in it's recharge cradle where it sees and connects to my BT headset there. When I go to the car it drops into the cradle there and autoconnects with the Alpine BT module in my stereo system for handsfree calling. I've even gone as far as a complete 24 hour period before the phone needed recharging on a recent trip.

Now look at the recent reports of users finding "dead strips" on their beloved iPhones making them practically useless. Turns out that the company Apple originally got the touch-screen technology from had already found out about that "problem" a long time ago, before the iPhone was even announced.

You know, this whole "the iPhone is ****" talk is kind of annoying. Exactly WHAT was available for the N770 when it first came out?

Oh right.

Anyone who has been keeping up with iPhone development knows full well that the phone has been hacked and installable applications are on the way. In no time you;ll have custom apps running on the iPhone along with having an actual phone, internet browser and a calendar, address book and email that syncs.

Also, Anyone here that has a cell phone IN ADDITION TO their n800 is already paying a monthly fee for cell access. So in reality those persons (including myself) are also paying x amount per year to have "phone service" regardless of whether skype is installed or not. It seems to me that I would prefer to be able to make a call (cellular OR VOIP) from the same mobile device. the iPhone is headed in that direction. Supposedly the N800 is not headed in that direction. Let the iPhone gain all the capabilities that my N800 has and i'll be getting that rather than the next iteration of the N800.

While we can moan about battery life with WIFI and GPS on, I'd like to point out how fast the battery can die if say MaemoMapper decides to eat CPU because one inadvertently left "Auto-download" on and are out of range of a connectible WIFI spot. Or when Canola config goes south and pegs the CPU OR when the System decides to scan you SD card an pegs the CPU...or....

I say all that to say that the Apple hating is really unnecessary. the N800 is a good product. It clearly needs improving upon. the iPhone is a good product. It needs improving upon, the best product with the best marketing will win in the end.

I tell you, for all the learning curve is relatively steep on the 770 *(I've had mine about a month and love it) - I feel set for almost ANYTHING with the combo of the 770 and my SPV C600 in my pockets. Never even bother taking a laptop on the train anymore. I would NOT swap these 2 devices for an Iphone as it's far to restricted to use - I like control of my devices.

The 770 gives me, daily/weekly:

wi-fi full screen width internet browsing.
maemo mapper/gps on a nice big screen
Instant Messaging via Pidgin
Skype (not something I really use much tho, prefer IM)
Youtube via uktube (no hassle downloading, I hate waiting for the youtube buffer anyway and can continue doing other stuff whilst waiting)
Scumm VM - great for passing time waiting for the inevitably delayed train
I have some episodes of tv progs like the Shield, Heroes etc on my memory cards to watch on the train.
It is a cracking ebook reader.
I can stream content - music/video from my pc.
I use it to listen to internet radio, particularly sports commentary etc whilst working in the garden or fixing up my landrover.
And, finally, I'm looking into using it as a universal control for my home cinema equipment via IRTrans.

All THAT for a device I picked up for £70!

I do like Apple, my first use of a computer was when my Dad bought an Apple II, and I love my Ipod but the Iphone, whilst undoubtedly a lovely device given it's design/interface, is just that - a PHONE with some extra gubbins.
But, - you get much more out of the 770 if you are willing to put the effort in.

Besides, rather surprisingly, mp3's via canola sound better than my Ipod....

Originally Posted by iball View Post
Actually, it's more like this:

1. Phone button
2. Scroll through hundreds of names
3. Keep scolling, almost there
4. Just a few more flicks
5. Press chosen name

Calling <Name>...
Favorites... You are feverous as a rabid linux user. Its only 2-3 touches to call your friends.

Only a ***** would walk/drive around with both GPS and wi-fi turned on constantly. And you'll quickly find that no one does that other than reviewers who have already made up their mind to hate the phone in the first place.

Tell you what, turn on the wi-fi on the iPhone as well as the GPS and start streaming internet radio and see how long the iPhone's battery lasts.
Oh wait, the iPhone doesn't have built-in GPS and can't stream internet radio.
Why the phuck are people buying the iPhone again? Oh yeah, the "cool" flick-scrolling and featuerless web browser.
Sorry, but that's not worth even close to the $2000 over the next two years that iPhone's going to cost you.

You've obviously never bothered to even look at the wide array of software out there for the new N and E-series devices running S60 3rd Edition.
Show me the FREE podcast client for the iPhone? There isn't one.
Show me the FREE SIP/VoIP client for the iPhone? There isn't one there either.
Show me the native universal IM/Chat client for the iPhone? There isn't one of those for the iPhone.
Google maps? I think just about every Nokia phone had that long before the iPhone came out.
I drop my N95 into the car mount and can use any of about 5 different GPS navigation applications that will guide me directly to where I need to go while at the same time keeping the phone charged. Can't do that with the iPhone.
A2DP? Suprisingly it's NOT present in the iPhone while it's been present in the N95 from day one. And guess what? Even the N800 can now do A2DP, even though it takes a little command-line skill to get it setup and running.
ANd Nokia's already addressing the poor battery life in the current N95 with a specialized US version that has a bigger battery as well as support for US-based 3G bands - well, the one AT&T uses anyway. That says they're listening to their customers. Nokia's last earning report stated that they've sold 1.5 million N95s world-wide to date with around 400,000 of them being in the United States alone. Not bad considering there isn't a single US carrier displaying them in any store, complete lack of big-media advertising, and only two Nokia stores in the entire country displaying them.
Battery-life, schmattery-life. I get home and drop the phone in it's recharge cradle where it sees and connects to my BT headset there. When I go to the car it drops into the cradle there and autoconnects with the Alpine BT module in my stereo system for handsfree calling. I've even gone as far as a complete 24 hour period before the phone needed recharging on a recent trip.

Now look at the recent reports of users finding "dead strips" on their beloved iPhones making them practically useless. Turns out that the company Apple originally got the touch-screen technology from had already found out about that "problem" a long time ago, before the iPhone was even announced.

You pay for data and phone plans for the N95 too. So lets get over the $2000 subject. And if you must insist, you can just hack it and rely on WiFi.

Second. Having every feature on the planet, implemented in the most *** backwards way does not impress users. "Flicking and scrolling", ease of navigation, integration, size and quality of the product are all very relevant. You can fit 2 iPhones in the same space you fit an N95 brick.

Podcasting is handled by iTunes, as well as the built in web plug-in. You can stream any content handled by quicktime (mov, mp4, h.264, mp3) directly in safari, that inludes your "internet radio". I don't see that available on the N95.

"Google Maps" on the N95 doesn't integrate with your address book.

iChat will likely be released soon, and if it doesn't there is already a beta chat client that can easily be 2 touch installed by Nullrivers install app. The iPhone has a real OS to work with and will completely eclipse all these anemic mobile OSes.

As far as "defects and bad screens", Apple next days you a loaner phone, for free mind you (they waive the $29) and have it back to you in 2-3 days. Last time I shipped a Nokia S60 device in, I got zero updates and got my repaired phone back in 37 days. Same thing happened with the N800, but only took 34 days.

I fail to see why people get so offended when the iPhone is brought up. It might be a tired topic, but its an amazing product that reaches into multiple markets. Nobody would be discussing it if it wasn't a huge new player in the game.

It has a desktop class browser that is being updated... unlike the N95 browser that might get a patch in a quarterly firmware revision.

It actually runs an amazing OS that applications can be ported easily too. People are creating incredible apps with a homebrew SDK... NES emulators, libpurple messaging, games (doom, lights off), etc....

Basically its what the N95 and the N800 want to be. In 6 months, we'll be tired of arguing and there will be a plethora of updates and 3rd party applications (even if they are unsupported).

Favorites... You are feverous as a rabid linux user. Its only 2-3 touches to call your friends.
Don't go around saying it's THAT easy, because it's not.
In order to compete with the N95 it has to be used for BUSINESS as well, which usually winds up being a LOT of contacts.

You pay for data and phone plans for the N95 too. So lets get over the $2000 subject. And if you must insist, you can just hack it and rely on WiFi.
Right, and I'm telling you that it's cheaper during the 2-year period with my plan and an N95.

Second. Having every feature on the planet, implemented in the most *** backwards way does not impress users. "Flicking and scrolling", ease of navigation, integration, size and quality of the product are all very relevant. You can fit 2 iPhones in the same space you fit an N95 brick.
Bam, got you right there. You've never even touched an N95, have you?
Not only is the iPhone itself BIGGER but two iPhones together would be a lot bigger than a single N95.

N95: 99 x 53 x 21 mm, 120 g.
iPhone: 115 x 61 x 11.6 mm, 135 g.

As you can plainly see, not only is the iPhone physically wider and longer, but it's heavier as well.

Podcasting is handled by iTunes, as well as the built in web plug-in. You can stream any content handled by quicktime (mov, mp4, h.264, mp3) directly in safari, that inludes your "internet radio". I don't see that available on the N95.
Again, that's because you've never held one much less done any research on it.
Free Internet Radio software for the N95 allows the same, but when it comes to dealing with podcasts not only can you stream them but you can set up the phone to automatically check and download them obliviating the need for either iTunes or a computer, period. Come to think of it, there's quite a number of N95-compatible audio and video streaming applications.
Yes, have fun "streaming" your podcasts via EDGE.

"Google Maps" on the N95 doesn't integrate with your address book.
So? That's what the free and Nokia Maps application is for as well as a few other third-party navigation applications that the iPhone doesn't have and V1 & v2 iPhone will probably never have.

iChat will likely be released soon, and if it doesn't there is already a beta chat client that can easily be 2 touch installed by Nullrivers install app. The iPhone has a real OS to work with and will completely eclipse all these anemic mobile OSes.
iChat. Wow. Have fun chatting with Bruce Willis and the handful of other people on iChat.
The rest of the planet - for better or worse - uses Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, Skype, Googlechat, etc.
The N95 can do all of those simultaneously whereas the iPhone cannot.
I LIKE iChat though, too bad none of my friends are on it.

As far as "defects and bad screens", Apple next days you a loaner phone, for free mind you (they waive the $29) and have it back to you in 2-3 days. Last time I shipped a Nokia S60 device in, I got zero updates and got my repaired phone back in 37 days. Same thing happened with the N800, but only took 34 days.
Ok, now I'll grant you this one: when it comes to true hardware support and repair, Apple stomps Nokia and many other hardware manufacturers into the ground.
That's why buying a three-year extended warranty on an Apple product is not the "sucker-play" that it is anywhere else (Best Buy, Walmart, etc.). THey take care of their users.
I would know....I have my Airport, Airport Express, and Macbook Pro all covered under it even though I've currently had no problems (knock on wood).

I fail to see why people get so offended when the iPhone is brought up. It might be a tired topic, but its an amazing product that reaches into multiple markets.
No, it reaches into the consumer market only. It's not fit for true business use (lack of VPN, lack of Exchange/Blackbeery Connect puch email, unable to quickly lookup one contact out of hundereds, lack of VoIP, etc.)

Nobody would be discussing it if it wasn't a huge new player in the game.
It's not a huge new player in the game. Compare the total number of phones Apple has sold worldwide with the number of phones Nokia has sold worldwide.
I do believe the total number of iPhones sold to DATE is about the number of phones Nokia sells in a month...or is it a week?

It has a desktop class browser that is being updated... unlike the N95 browser that might get a patch in a quarterly firmware revision.
The browser in the iPhone is NOT "desktop quality". If that were true then it would support at least flash SOMETHING.
Again, this shows where you know nothing about the N95 considering the web browser in the N95 and the web browser in the iPhone are built upon the EXACT same underlying code base. They are both Safari Webkit browsers.
Except the N95's browser does tend to crash due to "out-of-memory" errors.
That's why Nokia's releasing the new version of the phone with much, much more RAM. Also, Nokia's web browser team has already stated that they CAN push out updates to the browser via firmware updates, which there have been more for the N95 than the iPhone. Of course, the N95 is "older". Again, shows you know nothing about the N95.

It actually runs an amazing OS that applications can be ported easily too. People are creating incredible apps with a homebrew SDK... NES emulators, libpurple messaging, games (doom, lights off), etc....
That's nice. I'm playing GameBoy Advance games, SCUMMVM, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis/MegaDrive, and a couple of MMORPGs on my N95. Right now. Today.

Basically its what the N95 and the N800 want to be. In 6 months, we'll be tired of arguing and there will be a plethora of updates and 3rd party applications (even if they are unsupported).
No, the N95 is a phone first, extras second. The N800 isn't even trying to be a phone, but it automagically stomps the iPhone in the web browser and VoIP/Skype departments. Not to mention the N800 has dual SDHC slots, so when you look at it in the near future - as in "within a year" - the current N800 can be easily upgraded to 32GB of storage with 64GB not too far behind. Right now my N95 has 4GB of storage space and my N800 has 16GB.
That's the beauty of removable, upgradable storage that smartphone owners want and Apple can't seem to figure out.
Battery dies on my N95 or N800? No problem, just replace it.
Battery dies on your iPhone? Send the whole thing - minus the SIM chip of course - to Apple, snag a loaner, etc. Time wasted out of your busy day.
And there's a big difference from "unsupported" to "supported".
One gets a big "f-you" when you bone up your phone, the other gets your boned phone replaced.
Eventually the shine will be off that Apple iPhone and if they find you've "hacked" the phone they will probably say it's not covered under whatever warranty you can buy for it and you will get charged. That happens to everything over time - Xbox 360 excluded, at least for the next three years.

I like this discussion. Have you been typing all this on the N95? I've been on my iPhone. The N95 doesn't do a good enough job untethering me with a number pad. Typing comfortably in widescreen on forums is wonderful on the iPhone. No accessory needed.

And just because Nokia uses WebKit to render pages, it doesn't give it the superior type faces, hardware accellerated scrolling, and easy navigation. An engine can't build the whole car. You seem to miss the point of having well implemented features vs plentiful features.

Exactly how much cheaper is the N95 monthlysince you say it matter of factly.

iPhone is $39 + 20 for unlimited data and 200 texts.

You also assume I am unfamiliar with S60 devices and the N95. I simply stated that most of the features you happily advertise as better than iPhone are terribly implemented. Try browsing for a few hours, or type a long email without a bluetooth keyboard. Its not gonna be half as comfortable.

21mm is double the thickness btw.

I like this discussion. Have you been typing all this on the N95? I've been on my iPhone. The N95 doesn't do a good enough job untethering me with a number pad. Typing comfortably in widescreen on forums is wonderful on the iPhone. No accessory needed.

And just because Nokia uses WebKit to render pages, it doesn't give it the superior type faces, hardware accellerated scrolling, and easy navigation. An engine can't build the whole car. You seem to miss the point of having well implemented features vs plentiful features.

Exactly how much cheaper is the N95 monthlysince you say it matter of factly.

iPhone is $39 + 20 for unlimited data and 200 texts.

You also assume I am unfamiliar with S60 devices and the N95. I simply stated that most of the features you happily advertise as better than iPhone are terribly implemented. Try browsing for a few hours, or type a long email without a bluetooth keyboard. Its not gonna be half as comfortable.

21mm is double the thickness btw.
Again, why would I use the browser on the N95 when I have the N800 for those times when I REALLY need to use the web?
The iPhone is hype when you consider what you get for ~$2000 over two years versus a real smartphone.
Tell you what, go open up a Word, Excel, and Powerpoint document on that iPhone "smartphone".
Not to mention the N95's built-in 5MP camera with uploading to various places on the net from the phone itself.

Again, why would I use the browser on the N95 when I have the N800 for those times when I REALLY need to use the web?
The iPhone is hype when you consider what you get for ~$2000 over two years versus a real smartphone.
Tell you what, go open up a Word, Excel, and Powerpoint document on that iPhone "smartphone".
Not to mention the N95's built-in 5MP camera with uploading to various places on the net from the phone itself.
You see, the iphone actually provides a usable web experience unlike the N95. I can comfortably respond and view this forum all day.

P.S. It can open word, excel and pdf files

And use google docs fully. Yay Ajax support.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Podcasting is handled by iTunes, as well as the built in web plug-in. You can stream any content handled by quicktime (mov, mp4, h.264, mp3) directly in safari, that inludes your "internet radio". I don't see that available on the N95
/Quote

I do not know how N95 get into the discussioin, really, is this an apple vs orange or Apple vs Nokia discussion? Anyway, your Podcasting reminds me something that maybe others has observed that too. I am interested in mediastreaming and have installed mediastreamer on the 770. I also installed TVersity on a very old laptop and this two seems to work beautifully, to some extend. The TVersity comes with Podcast URL? and the 770 could tapped into and play, only audio, NO video. However, if one works a little bit more (here comes the limitation with 770), dl the Podcast into TVersity (which is on a PC laptop) and have TVersity stream to the 770 with a mediaconverter, (you got it right, the 770 needs a PC), the 770 will play perfect, both audio and video. Well, as others and myself have posted, I "love" my 770, but the "learning curve" is steep.

bun