Notices

So i haven't learned how to flash my n900 yet, hopfully my massive geeky boffin mate will figure it out n show me but untill then all i can do is clean it up a bit. Even if i knew how i can't because i use windows 7? Anyway... So what is the next best thing? Idealy i want a fresh OS as i've a custom kernel and i think over the last 6 months of typing commands that i don't fully understand, installing, uninstalling has had annoying effects. One to do with no text alerts but anyway. If i was to connect to my pc via pc suit and go for reinstall software is that the next best thing? And will the fact that i have enhanced power kernel installed be a problem? Or will the reinstall just overwtite to stock kernel. Basically i just want to start again pain free and hopefully avoid x-term or full flash because i've tried once before and ended up with no phone for 3 weeks. I know in the settings we have "restore original settings" and "clear device" But i'm sure it won't fix my bugs.

Thanks in advance
Nath

Last edited by natedog400; 2011-02-14 at 12:09.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
A new phone.

Originally Posted by Hootenholler View Post
A new phone.
Arn't you a nob

The Following User Says Thank You to natedog400 For This Useful Post:
Some real advice please

it just removes contacts and personal information. Nothing compares to a reflash.

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
it just removes contacts and personal information. Nothing compares to a reflash.
I know nothing compares but i just can't do it yet?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Only one thing you can do looking at what you have been doing in your explanation and that is am afraid to say a complete re-flash, it is not so hard you know ... just follow the well written guidelines on this forum and you wil save yourself a hell of a lot of time and bother. good luck.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
When you remove packages make sure you uninstall them from the command line using "apt-get purge <packagename>" this will remove the configuration files along with the package. After that it depends somewhat on how well behaved the packages were, packages can run scripts on installation and removal which can make arbitrary changes to the system if necessary, and if badly written they may not clean themselves up properly when you remove the package. You can also use "apt-get install <packagename> --reinstall" to reinstall any packages whose files you think may have got messed up or corrupted.

It is possible to get back to a clean state without reflashing, but depending on the state of your current install it can take quite a bit of in-depth knowledge. Quite honestly flashing is easier.

If your having problems with flashing because of Windows 7, then grab yourself a spare 1GB+ USB stick, a copy of unetbootin and use unetbootin to install a version of ubuntu to your USB stick. Also check out the flashing guide and download the flasher deb and the rootfs image (and optionally the eMMC image) and save them to your USB drive just in case you can't get networking when you boot the USB stick. I've just noticed this is quite similar to option 4 of what you can do if you have the 64-bit version of Windows 7. There are other options for flashing in this situation in the wiki which you could also use.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
I wish i understood all that I got most of it, i can't remember what i've installed in the past so getting rid of any changes that may have been made probably means one thing... reflash?? Oh well. I spent about 3 nights in a row trying to do it last time and it gave me a big headache? I'll have another crack at it me thinks. Thanks for the advice my friend. If only i was a bit brainier

Untill i figure out how to flash my phone can someone tell me if its safe to just reinstall software via software updater on pc suit whilst i have enhanced power kernel installed? Will it just replace back to stock kernel? Its worth a shot n may fix the problem i have? I know its not as good as a full flash but if its the next best thing i've gotta try it.
Thanks

Tags
bada rox, bada rulez, just shoot me