Posts: 123 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New Delhi, India
hi thecubed,
any update on the app? am waiting to test

How about disable vibrate when alarm clock rings? It really pisses me off. I want to wake up in alarm sound, not megaloud vibration.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by aman18narang View Post
Hi,
i am not programmer but just an idea which i guess should not be very difficult to implement.

Usually we keep our phones on a hard surface when on charging mode and so when i get a call or a msg it vibrates, scratching the lower body. Plus, i also dont like the sound of vibration on a hard surface.

Can anyone make a hack that disables vibration mode when charging and re-enables it when removed from charging mode?
Please have a look at my signature for how to proceed in brainstorming.

A third profile automatically active while on charger would be nice, just like earphones and so on. Why only for chargers? make it an option for several things to watch.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Please have a look at my signature for how to proceed in brainstorming.

A third profile automatically active while on charger would be nice, just like earphones and so on. Why only for chargers? make it an option for several things to watch.
thanks for the info...will create a brainstorm page and link it here..

Last edited by aman18narang; 2010-04-19 at 16:50.

My old N82 would not vibrate when plugged in, this became a standard feature on nokia devices from the 3120 (the different shelled 3100) onwards or something didn't it?

Originally Posted by teh View Post
My old N82 would not vibrate when plugged in, this became a standard feature on nokia devices from the 3120 (the different shelled 3100) onwards or something didn't it?
yes its standard on the symbian phones but not on maemo..

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Near: Gilroy, CA
Originally Posted by aman18narang View Post
hi thecubed,
any update on the app? am waiting to test
Update:
For some reason, my N900 doesn't like the dbus-scripts package. I think I may have messed something up in apt whilst trying to get the new Qt working

For now, I think I'm going to wait until after PR1.2 is released, so I can just do a reflash only once. After PR1.2 is released, I have a few apps I'm going to get finished-- including this one.

My thought is to have a configurable "Actions on Power Plug" dialog. This will allow you to select the actions to be performed when power is removed or restored. Such actions will include: dimming the screen (my N900's screen is too bright at night), disabling vibration, enabling the ringtone, and running custom commands (like launching a fullscreen clock, if someone makes one).

Hopefully PR1.2 is released soon!
http://thecubed.com

The Following User Says Thank You to thecubed For This Useful Post:
Posts: 91 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Near: Gilroy, CA
ALL DONE!

To install:
first, make sure you have some form of root shell available (some use "sudo gainroot", others just type "root")

1. install dbus-scripts from extras-devel (I just wget and dpkg'd the deb file, since I don't like how much extras-devel slows down hildon-application-manager)
2. as root, run the following commands:

wget http://thecubed.com/n900/install-charger-power.sh
chmod +x install-charger-power.sh
./install-charger-power.sh

Once the script finishes, you should be able to disconnect and reconnect your charger and see a banner that says something about the vibration being disabled or enabled.

To disable this functionality:
edit the /etc/dbus-scripts.d/charger-vibrate-control file and comment out the two lines for enable and disablevibrate. After you comment out those lines, run "killall dbus-scripts" as root, and that'll reload the configs.

PLEASE NOTE: I have tested the actual charger power scripts on my phone all day, and it had no side effects, however, my method of packaging the scripts may be buggy. If you encounter any errors, please let me know so that I can fix it before I continue.

If anyone wants to clean up this, or has any modifications-- please let me know. Criticism is good!
http://thecubed.com

The Following User Says Thank You to thecubed For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thecubed View Post
ALL DONE!

To install:
first, make sure you have some form of root shell available (some use "sudo gainroot", others just type "root")

1. install dbus-scripts from extras-devel (I just wget and dpkg'd the deb file, since I don't like how much extras-devel slows down hildon-application-manager)
2. as root, run the following commands:

wget http://thecubed.com/n900/install-charger-power.sh
chmod +x install-charger-power.sh
./install-charger-power.sh

Once the script finishes, you should be able to disconnect and reconnect your charger and see a banner that says something about the vibration being disabled or enabled.

To disable this functionality:
edit the /etc/dbus-scripts.d/charger-vibrate-control file and comment out the two lines for enable and disablevibrate. After you comment out those lines, run "killall dbus-scripts" as root, and that'll reload the configs.

PLEASE NOTE: I have tested the actual charger power scripts on my phone all day, and it had no side effects, however, my method of packaging the scripts may be buggy. If you encounter any errors, please let me know so that I can fix it before I continue.

If anyone wants to clean up this, or has any modifications-- please let me know. Criticism is good!
thanks for the steps..

but cant it be made a bit more noob friendly..something like install the deb file or devel file..

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I tried the script thecubed posted and it does not seem to work for me.

I really hate the vibration on the alarm. The sound of the vibration on the wooden table I put it on when I go to sleep is so hard it wakes up the entire house.
I am now manually switching profiles all the time but I'm hoping someone can help me out here.