Originally Posted by geneven View Post
You however DID SAY "82 reflashes and this after removing conky is completely and totally abnormal."

You might at least frankly say "I was wrong".
Sentence flow failure. Not once did I think he reflashed 82 times after failing to remove conky, and I thought that was completely clear from his own context.

Also, I don't think 82 reflashes is all that weird, believe it or not. Flashing is not wrong, it's a tool.
It is, but generally only needed if you're in a severe spot. I mess with my device a lot and I think I've reflashed it less than 15 times since I got mine in 2009 and rode out the 32wd_to bug pre-PR1.1 despite messing with MeeGo and the community SSU. I've certainly never resorted to it as a default "go to" for solving a problem.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread before people continue to harp on me for being skeptical.

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Sentence flow failure. Not once did I think he reflashed 82 times after failing to remove conky, and I thought that was completely clear from his own context.

It is, but generally only needed if you're in a severe spot. I mess with my device a lot and I think I've reflashed it less than 15 times since I got mine in 2009 and rode out the 32wd_to bug pre-PR1.1 despite messing with MeeGo and the community SSU. I've certainly never resorted to it as a default "go to" for solving a problem.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread before people continue to harp on me for being skeptical.
You're amazing, you're awsome Okay! I am not that type of a do and undo guy. When I think it is time to reflash I reflash.

Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
When you flash both emmc and rootfs the system hangs a lot of time on first boot due to optification of the file system - up to several minutes (sincerely I don't know on which basis but it's mentioned somewhere in the docs).
This happened once to me, when I fear to have lost my beloved 900. My suggestion is to try the following procedure as per Wiki:
- start with a fresh battery
- flash the eMMC without rebooting
- flash the fiasco image
- reboot and see the 5 dot blinking
- go to bed and wait until tomorrow before looking at your n900 again

Once it happened to me the dots blinked for half an hour, perhaps more. I repeat that I don't know why it took so long to optify the system while usually it does not take more than a couple of minutes, but it happened. My little beast still works.

Last edited by jurop88; 2011-02-23 at 22:13. Reason: typo

1. Hopelessly I grabbed two fresh FIASCO + EMMC images
2. I cold-flashed my device, successfully
3. Fired it up, no life
4. Took off all what's plugged in
5. I prepared for a regular FIASCO reflash and flashed successfully
6. I reflashed the EMMC directly after that, successfully
7. Rebooted, dots showed up, then went off and my LED flashed yellow twice, dots showed up again, beating in the old slow pace Look at me crossing the fingers
8. I started smelling life, and there it goes! The ugly hands came up! Success!
9. I couldn't believe myself! I directly booted off and replaced my sim and memory card in the device
10. There you go, endless rapid dot flashing.
11. I plugged out my mmc, nothing happened
12. I plugged in my mmc, plugged out my sim card, Viola! It worked!
The spark of life hits my N900!
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
It clearly is the sim port problem, I tried 3 sim cards there, none let my N900 boot up. But what da heck it is alive!

The Following User Says Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
wooohooo! I'm happy for ya.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Wow! some suspense reading this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Brooklyn, NY
I must say. This is the 1st thread I read beginning 2 end and it was like reading a short story (quite possible 1 of the best I ever read).

Glad to hear everything worked out for you ammyt! I really appreciate you and the rest of this community!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 22showtime For This Useful Post:
I have to agree, very tense drama this one, but with a better ending than anticipated, shame about some folks sarcasm along the way. Glad things improved for you, despite me being little, ok no help, and happy youll be sticking around for a while

Plus I can go to sleep now and rest easy lol

The Following User Says Thank You to the dark knight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2010 @ City of Angels
Sitting here reading this thread and wondering how people were nice+helpful and then things boiled+ few got somewhat hostile. One even tried to create drama. Missed my fav TV show reading this.

I am a TECH for large Corp. After 28 years I no longer read the paper work and once in a while (after doing it for 28 years) I m scratching my head to why in the hell I ve got a problem?

My advise from experience is unless it s absolute must to get it working immediately, let it sit and then start fresh in a while.

You mentioned that you had droped the unit. whether you like it or not, it ll be a good idea to dissmantle and inspect the boards+connection. Its either that or what you have for now. I bet when you open it up you ll see the problem and be able to fix it. Gooz luck....

The Following User Says Thank You to nokuser For This Useful Post:

Tags
killed my babe, n950 next