I have installed the Maemo 5 SDK on Ubuntu 12.10.

It sort of works -- on af-sb-init.sh start I get a very N900-looking desktop -- but most of the widgets update in a strange way.

For example, on selecting Settings from the app menu, then 'Text input', there is no sign that clicking on 'Use virtual keyboard' is having any effect. But if, having clicked on it, I save, go out, and go back in, the checkbox has changed.

This doesn't happen for every Widget or every application. Within the browser, for instance, I can scroll and click quite happily and see things changing.

Does anyone have any ideas about why I am getting this behaviour? It's fairly close to useless the way it is.

Dump of output on running 'af-sb-init.sh start' follows (more gets added over time as I play in Xephyr, but unfortunately nothing at all pops up in the output when I click on a widget that is not updating):

Note: For remote X connections DISPLAY should contain hostname!
Sample files present.
Starting DBUS system bus
Starting D-BUS session bus daemon
Starting Maemo Launcher: maemo-launcher.
maemo-launcher: warning raising the oom shield for pid=4280 status=5632
Starting Sapwood image server
Starting hildon-desktop
maemo-launcher: invoking '/usr/bin/hildon-desktop.launch'
maemo-launcher: invoking '/usr/bin/hildon-status-menu.launch'
maemo-launcher: invoking '/usr/bin/hildon-home.launch'
Starting Keyboard
hildon-desktop[4310]: GLIB WARNING ** GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor - remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.HalVolumeMonitor is not supported
hildon-status-menu[4313]: GLIB WARNING ** GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor - remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.HalVolumeMonitor is not supported
hildon-home[4314]: GLIB WARNING ** GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor - remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.HalVolumeMonitor is not supported
Initializing trackerd...
trackerd[4326]: GLIB DEBUG Tracker - Checking XDG_DATA_HOME is writable and exists
trackerd[4326]: GLIB MESSAGE Tracker - XDG_DATA_HOME set to '/home/ct/.local/share'
Starting browser daemon: maemo-launcher: opening of /usr/bin/hildon-desktop.launch took 1700 usec
maemo-launcher: opening of /usr/bin/hildon-status-menu.launch took 354 usec
maemo-launcher: opening of /usr/bin/hildon-home.launch took 503 usec
trackerd[4326]: GLIB DEBUG Tracker - Path is OK
trackerd[4326]: GLIB MESSAGE Tracker - Setting IO priority
trackerd[4326]: GLIB MESSAGE Tracker - Setting up stopword list for language code:'en'
trackerd[4326]: GLIB MESSAGE Tracker - Tracker couldn't read stopword file:'/usr/share/tracker/languages/stopwords.en', Failed to open file '/usr/share/tracker/languages/stopwords.en': open() failed: No such file or directory
trackerd[4326]: GLIB MESSAGE Tracker - Setting up stemmer for language code:'en'
trackerd[4326]: GLIB MESSAGE Tracker - Registering DBus service...
Name:'org.freedesktop.Tracker'
Starting log:
File:'/home/ct/.local/share/tracker/trackerd.log'
trackerd[4326]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Tracker - Could not initialize the HAL context, no error, is hald running?
browserd
[sbox-FREMANTLE_X86: ~] > mafw-dbus-wrapper[4329]: GLIB WARNING ** mafw-gst-renderer - Could not initialize hal
hildon-input-method[4324]: GLIB MESSAGE default - ui up and running
hildon-home[4314]: GLIB WARNING ** default - /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/connui-cellular-operator-home-item.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
hildon-home[4314]: GLIB WARNING ** default - Could not load operator module /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/connui-cellular-operator-home-item.so.
Initializing tracker-indexer...
Starting log:
File:'/home/ct/.local/share/tracker/tracker-indexer.log'
hildon-home[4314]: GLIB WARNING ** default - devlock_mode_get_notify. Error calling devlock_mode_get. The name com.nokia.mce was not provided by any .service files
hildon-home[4314]: GLIB WARNING ** default - hd_plugin_configuration_configuration_loaded. Couldn't read plugin_paths in dir /usr/share/applications/hildon-home. Error: Error opening directory '/usr/share/applications/hildon-home': No such file or directory
hildon-desktop[4310]: GLIB WARNING ** ClutterX11 - Failed to get XImage of pixmap: e00017, removing
hildon-desktop[4310]: GLIB WARNING ** ClutterX11 - Failed to get XImage of pixmap: e0001d, removing
hildon-desktop[4310]: GLIB WARNING ** ClutterX11 - Failed to get XImage of pixmap: e00020, removing
trackerd[4326]: GLIB WARNING ** Tracker - Could not add monitor for path:'/home/ct/MyDocs/.camera'
trackerd[4326]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Tracker - Could not open directory 'file:///home/ct/MyDocs/.camera': No such file or directory
maemo-launcher: invoking '/usr/bin/controlpanel.launch'
controlpanel[4372]: GLIB WARNING ** GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor - remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.HalVolumeMonitor is not supported
maemo-launcher: opening of /usr/bin/controlpanel.launch took 4081 usec
hildon-desktop[4310]: GLIB WARNING ** ClutterX11 - Failed to get XImage of pixmap: e00042, removing
hildon-desktop[4310]: GLIB CRITICAL ** default - gdk_pixbuf_xlib_get_from_drawable: assertion `src != 0' failed
hildon-desktop[4310]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GLib-GObject - g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
hildon-desktop[4310]: GLIB WARNING ** ClutterX11 - Failed to get XImage of pixmap: e0004e, removing
hildon-desktop[4310]: GLIB WARNING ** ClutterX11 - Failed to get XImage of pixmap: e0006f, removing
hildon-desktop[4310]: GLIB WARNING ** ClutterX11 - Failed to get XImage of pixmap: e00085, removing
hildon-desktop[4310]: GLIB WARNING ** ClutterX11 - Failed to get XImage of pixmap: e0009c, removing

Same issue on Arch.

My app I'm working on doesn't draw menus etc on first press but going back and then reopening menu makes it work. My list view just doesn't work but is fine on the actual device.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Adelaide, Australia
I'm getting something similar. I think it's some incompatibility between the libraries in the scratchbox and the Xephyr display I'm connecting to.

If I use the Xephyr which came with the Maemo SDK VM (so Ubuntu 10.04) it works fine. But if I point DISPLAY to a Xephyr on my Debian 7 desktop, I get a large number of the "ClutterX11 - Failed to get XImage of pixmap" warnings. Some things are drawn okay, but even a simple Qt app with just a pushbutton fails to show the button.

Better than arch for me at the moment

had to rebuild old arch 3.8.10 kernel on an atom n270 with a new name as 3.9 onwards won't compile qt app, /usr\bin/moc segfaults.

now, eveytime i run af-sb-init start, xephyr segfaults. only way round is to set it to 24/32bpp mode. then all menus are messed up. every column of pixels had a white column after it (think zebra). last time it broke i added -noxv, but no joy this time.

may end up using ubuntu 10.04 in a vm.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Adelaide, Australia
The best workaround I have come up with so far is to use SSH X11 tunnelling to forward the Xephyr running on the VM to my host. So I run Xephyr like:
Code:
ssh -X maemo-desktop 'xauth add :1 . `mcookie` && Xephyr :1 -host-cursor -screen 800x480x16 -dpi 96 -ac'
Then in the scratchbox (also running on the VM) I just "export DISPLAY=:1". So apps will draw to the Xephyr on the VM which it tunnelled though to my host display. Convoluted, but it seems to work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toojays For This Useful Post:
I've finally set up a Debian 7 VM on another machine to continue some work. Xephyr is not crashing like it does in Arch but I still suffered the ClutterX11 errors quite a lot with the current version installed by default.

I've since replaced it with the version from squeeze-backports. Still get a few ClutterX11 errors but everything is rendering much better.