Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Hi,
I just came across news about a new portrait hardware QWERTY (Blackberry like) Android OS based smartphone Unihertz Titan.
It is currently in pre-order for $199.

Features:
  • hardware portrait QWERTY keyboard,
  • IPS LCD 4.5" display,
  • dual SIM,
  • fingerprint reader,
  • wireless charging,
  • NFC,
  • global LTE support,
  • big 6000mAh battery.

Official website:
https://titan.ogadget.com/

Other websites mentioning the device:
https://crackberry.com/unihertz-tita...unning-android
https://www.phonearena.com/news/This...sport_id117464
https://crackberry.com/unihertz-tita...unning-android
---
I personally hope for unlockable bootloader (as opposite to "force closed" BlackBerry). Would prefer landscape slider keyboard, though.

Last edited by mp107; 2019-07-13 at 21:47.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Big battery and wireless charging is good... but maybe else not... for me...

This at least show that there are maybe some kind of demanding of hwkb devices? New coming?

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by mp107 View Post
I personally hope for unlockable bootloader (as opposite to "force closed" BlackBerry). Would prefer landscape slider keyboard, though.
Interesting.

Just holding a ruler up to my monitor, although the device is of candybar-like proportions, the screen itself appears square! Make that keyboard slide, and you'd almost have my old Zaurus.

And I'm puzzled what they're trying to highlight in the picture of the red wipes across the keyboard. Is there some kind of hardware gesture control going on, or is it just to point out that real buttons? I guess that's possible: my car's (literal) radio buttons notice your fingers swiping across without pushing to briefly show the names of the presets on the dash display.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
This at least show that there are maybe some kind of demanding of hwkb devices?
I hope and I want to believe.
The company has already released and delivered to the market one niche device - the Jelly, 2,45" smartphone - so that may be a good sign that they will deliver also this device to the market.
And regarding the smartphone - I suppose this is not for me as well. I would prefer landscape slide keyboard as I do not like the BlackBerry's like idea to add a front keyboard at a cost of the device size (and smaller display).
EDIT: And lack of arrow keys…

Last edited by mp107; 2019-07-13 at 21:38.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
People should push them to comply with GPL and release Linux kernel source code at least. This was not the case with theirs Unihertz Jelly/Jelly Pro/Atom.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
...(Blackberry like)...
Funny. My immediate first reaction to the picture was, "yaay, it looks like a Palm Treo!"
But I guess most people are probably more familiar with tech named after various fruits.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Funny. My immediate first reaction to the picture was, "yaay, it looks like a Palm Treo!"
But I guess most people are probably more familiar with tech named after various fruits.
It hadn't occurred to me until reading this that a palm, too, could refer to something bearing fruit. I never had a keyboard palm, but this device does resemble one. I hopped to a zaurus 5500 from my visor for *nix terminal and more affordable wifi adapter. And keyboard.

Last edited by robthebold; 2019-07-16 at 02:59. Reason: weird autocorrect -- and holy crap, "wife" adapter?!?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
I had a Jelly pro and beside it worked as advertised there has been much bloatware on the phone and the security patches came in really slow - two updates in one year with nearly no new features and with the latest (end of May) update came the Android Jan security patch ...
Bootloader can be unlocked but without any option of a custom ROM ...
The Jelly pro is a cheap little device with cheap components - bought it as small enough backup phone for traveling ... not sure what to expect from a 199,- device with hardware keyboard ...

and the Unihertz support (and website and forum) is a nightmare - besides they ship their hardware bought from their shop very quick and reliable

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
It hadn't occurred to me until reading this that a palm, too, could refer to something bearing fruit.
So it can! Thanks, you are a real frond to remind me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Clearly made with some Blackberry Passport parts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, blackberry, portrait, qwerty