All of a sudden my N900 battery is draining really quickly. I just started happening and nothing has changed. The only thing i could think that could had caused this is my phone died over night and i charge it back up and tried Wind Mobile network with their simcard.After those two events my N900 battery is dying quicker than usual. I can't even get 7-8 hrs out of mines anymore. It is not even multi tasking as hard as before and its not surviving my daily use... Whats going on?

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
The battery life dropped by 50% after installing PR1.2 ! Why? I haven't installed any new applications/widgets...

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
The battery life dropped by 50% after installing PR1.2 ! Why? I haven't installed any new applications/widgets...
On some users problem currently is that pr 1.2 makes some already installed apps from extras and ovi behave oddly. So also installed apps that were on device before pr 1.2 matter. Care to list them? btw. Do you use recaller, catorise or facebook widget?

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by slender View Post
On some users problem currently is that pr 1.2 makes some already installed apps from extras and ovi behave oddly. So also installed apps that were on device before pr 1.2 matter. Care to list them? btw. Do you use recaller, catorise or facebook widget?
Regarding those apps you mention - no, no, no.

As for the installed apps:

Angry Birds, Bounce, Banner, Copernicium, Countdown Tim, Docs To Go, DrNokSnes, FM Radio, ForecaWeather, MaStory, Mirror, GPE File Manager, Open TTD, Hexen 2, KMPlayer, Numpty Physics, PrBoom, Pyrecipe, Qik, Qtirreco, Quake 2, Recorder, Sand, StockThis, Tuner, VGBA, Xournal, TouchSearch.

I have 4 desktops enabled, on them I have together:
14 shortcuts, Nameday widget, calendar widget, forecaweather widget, eyes widget, personal dataplan monitor ip adress+counter, 7 bookmarks, media player widget, cpu/ram widget, touch search widget.

Any idea what's the cause ? Thanks...It's really a PITA. Screw you Nokia. Not only you can't deliver your promises regarding Ovi, but you also bring an update which eats batteries for breakfast.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Hmm..
- you could start x-terminal and run command "top" and see if something other than xorg stays above 2-3 % cpu when you have closed all apps

- Normal procedure with these kinds of problems would be to disable all widgets. I would recommend disabling, foreca, eyes widget, personal data/ip address, cpu ram widget and touch search. Reboot and monitor how battery lasts.

And why widgets cause problems? They run constantly on your n900 and some of them do not behave as they should when you put your device in sleep. They keep waking cpu.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by jmc8501 View Post
I think yes, because I am not a heavy user, but I almost always end up with a dead phone before the day is done. Usually I charge the n900 at work as well as over night. I use all the battery tips (lowest brightness, don't use auto-connect, disable gps, etc...)

Edit: sorry this was a response to someone wondering f they would only get 2 hours if they used wifi constantly.
I use wifi constantly every day and don't have battery problems -- I would say I get a minimum of six hours.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
A new simcard improved battery life for my usage scenario. I am a moderate user, 3 - 4 hrs talk, 2 - 3 hrs streaming music, wifi / gprs always on. I got more talk time after the new simcard.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
Can you please tell us What capacity does battery eye or Battery monitor show?

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Hmm..
- you could start x-terminal and run command "top" and see if something other than xorg stays above 2-3 % cpu when you have closed all apps

- Normal procedure with these kinds of problems would be to disable all widgets. I would recommend disabling, foreca, eyes widget, personal data/ip address, cpu ram widget and touch search. Reboot and monitor how battery lasts.

And why widgets cause problems? They run constantly on your n900 and some of them do not behave as they should when you put your device in sleep. They keep waking cpu.
I ran "top" and everything is either around 1-2% or even 0.3-0.5%, so there is no problem there...

I use the device normally and this is just really bad. Before the update I could use the N900 as a laptop, since the battery life for me was a whole day. Now it's just 8-12 hours and that literally sucks. Nokia is here to fix it, but they haven't even bothered to read these boards lately or post a reply. Shame on you Peter!

I'm getting the same problem, but in a crazy way - I can charge the battery through the night, or having it connected to the charger the whole day (while using it), it would say the battry is full, and then it would die after an hour of use!

This practically makes this a desktop phone, and not a mobile!

I was such a Nokia-fan for years, and as much as I love what the N900 can do - it drives me nuts to see how Nokia is not taking its customers seriously!

Tags
n900 battery, n900 v. power war, piss poor