My powerbutton file had -rw-r--r-- permissions, and I chmodded it for testin to -rwxrwxrwx and timenow started working, so here it was permission error. I have rootsh already installed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ India
Originally Posted by Kossuth View Post
My powerbutton file had -rw-r--r-- permissions, and I chmodded it for testin to -rwxrwxrwx and timenow started working, so here it was permission error. I have rootsh already installed.
This worked like charm for me. Thanks for the solution, it was only the permission issue.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
wow! I got a bunch of supporting users

please set timenow.conf as follows:

Code:
start on started proximityd
stop on stopped hal
respawn
respawn limit 15 3

script
    sleep 10
    exec su user -c "run-standalone.sh /opt/timenowd/bin/timenowd"

end script
post-stop script
    # clean up
    killall timenowd
end script
and then reboot.

It works for me like that. If it works for other people too, I will push the change to extras-devel. I'm asking because apparently the boot procedure is different for each phone and no solution is universal.

if it fails please change the exec line to
Code:
exec su user -c "run-standalone.sh /opt/timenowd/bin/timenowd 2>/home/user/.timenow/timenow.log"
and post contents of timenow.log directly after boot
Hi qwazix, thanks for your hardwork and quick support. Changing permission is working fine for me but do i still need to change timenow.conf as u said for some smoothness or something maybe?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kraker_abhy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ India
@Sohil876: that problem was there on 0.11 but hopefully it is fixed in 0.12, make sure you have 0.12

on the other hand
Code:
/bin/sh: /opt/timenowd/bin/powerbutton: Permission denied
looks suspicious

please run ls -la /opt/timenowd/bin and post here, maybe there's a permission error. I also depend on rootsh so make sure you have that installed (which might not be the best way to do that, I might better add timenow to sudoers)
I am using v0.12, the problem was permission, thnx its now working nicely.

Yup this worked for me too, though instead of -rwxrwxrwx i did -rwxr-xr-x.

Last edited by Sohil876; 2013-12-31 at 15:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sohil876 For This Useful Post:
I meant the permission change only for testing if it is actually a permission problem and mainly for only to report it to qwazix. I am not enough skilled in linux systems to know if this "enable every and all permissions" has any ill side effects in the long run. Maybe qwazix can advice on more limited permission to run timenow.

Last edited by Kossuth; 2013-12-31 at 17:06. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
Great. I only changed permission and its now working.

chmod 755 /opt/timenowd/bin/powerbutton

Neither had to restart.

Any changes recommended for /etc/event.d/timenow.conf?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hcavjr For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Happy to hear that the permission solved it. I'm not sure if the execute bit is enough for owner, as it is run as root, so I'd advise to just chmod +x /opt/timenowd/bin/powerbutton

For timenow.conf, I noticed that on my device it didn't start without a longer sleep period, probably because proximityd hadn't yet completely started (I also had to add respawn 15 3 to proximityd as reported earlier by pierrem.

Thus if it works for you, leave it as is. I will introduce the longer delay as well as fix the permission thing in lucky version 0.13 in a few days.

I might ponder using sudoers instead of rootsh too, but as they say if it ain't broke...

Happy new year and thanks.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Happy to hear that the permission solved it. I'm not sure if the execute bit is enough for owner, as it is run as root, so I'd advise to just chmod +x /opt/timenowd/bin/powerbutton

For timenow.conf, I noticed that on my device it didn't start without a longer sleep period, probably because proximityd hadn't yet completely started (I also had to add respawn 15 3 to proximityd as reported earlier by pierrem.

Thus if it works for you, leave it as is. I will introduce the longer delay as well as fix the permission thing in lucky version 0.13 in a few days.

I might ponder using sudoers instead of rootsh too, but as they say if it ain't broke...

Happy new year and thanks.
Thanks for your response, I noticed that screen displayed with timenow goes off faster then displayed with power button, which makes it little difficult for me to operate media controls, can you guide me where i can change display time?

Thanks buddy and Happy new year, Have fun!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to kraker_abhy For This Useful Post:
/opt/timenowd/conf/settings.ini

/opt/timenowd/conf/settings.ini
Thanks a lot, I will give it a try..

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
please don't change settings.ini in /opt but rather in /home/user/.timenow
it has precedence.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob