Hi everybody,

I have a N900 since launch in Switzerland. I had much expectations at that time and i like the phone very much especially the design,
sliding keyboard and the good camera.

I was shoked as i heard that Nokia has drobed meamo. Now i'm disappointed from the OS and the avaible software for it.

Is it possible to run the N900 with a other or a better OS? What about the "MeeGo Handset Image" or android v.2.2? I have seen that someone could run android v2.2 on the N900.

Could someone make some experience or give recommendation?

Otherwise I must consider to buy a new smartphone again, but I avoid that. I'm not interested to expend a new phone again.

I hope someone can help me, and sorry if here is a same theared. I couldn't find a answer for my questions and i don't now who else i can ask.

THANKS

Android works very stable and fast but the telephony don't work
Nemo (meego for n900) works very nice (you need a class 6/10) but we need software...

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
You won't find the same amount of software AND the ability to make phone calls in a different OS.

NITDroid could be your answer. It will allow you to run Android 2.2/2.3 on your Nokia N900. Everything seems to work on that OS, however phone calls do not work as of yet. They work, but no sound. The developers haven't worked on NITDroid in a while, but I believe they will after the release of ICS on Nokia N9.

Generally the N900 was only designed to run Maemo, and not any other OS. Once NITDroid supports phone calls, I believe that will be your answer/solution.

Best of luck.

P.S. NITDroid web site is down at the moment, but perhaps you can try it out by looking for threads on this forum about NITDroid.

Once again, best of luck.

And here I am, wishing I could put Maemo on a newer device.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Descalzo For This Useful Post:
The GCodeplex for nitdroid is still available at http://code.google.com/p/nitdroid-v2/

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
maemo is the best, others just alternatives,

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think that Maemo has quite a variety of software -- are you sure you've given it a chance? I don't know what you think is missing.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Hong Kong
I think Maemo still stands up very well against other mobile operating systems out there. I actually prefer it over most of the others, the multitasking is unparalleled and being open, it is extremely customisable.

As for software/apps, yeah in terms of sheer quantity we have less than the other ecosystems. But I find there is still a wide choice of great apps covering most needs. And unlike Android and iOS, there aren't a lot of duplicates and crapware!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jerex For This Useful Post:
u should try 'Nemo"