Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
Just read Tommi Ahonen's blogpost: http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...-to-n9-me.html
Obviously MeeGo on one handset alone, with no Nokia support, is outselling all Windows Phone smartphones by Samsung, HTC and Nokia, with the massive Microsoft marketing effort, globally, by about 2 to 1
According to it Nokia N9 is outselling WP7 3 to 1 in rich markets, where WP7 got major push, and 2 to 1 globally. Harmattan refuses to die and just marches stepping on the face of WP7 efforts by Elop.
That is something we, as a wonderful community have helped achieve I think!
Thanks for the efforts of the Harmattan team in Nokia! I really hope that miracles can happen and Harmattan can fight his way out of the doom!
Any thoughts guys?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
I NEED TO BUYYY ONEEE hopefully soon but am never getting rid of my N900

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
It's dead. Whether or not the N9 is outselling WP is neither here nor there. Nobody outside of Nokia has the real figure, and even the most optimistic number is still very low when compared to the more relevant competition (iOS and Android devices). Maybe Commodore 64 outsold ZX Spectrum last quarter, but nobody cares.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Maybe Commodore 64 outsold ZX Spectrum last quarter, but nobody cares.
And noone should except Nokia's sales department and it's stockholders.

They have invested on testing the market's reaction in devices running other then iOS and android IMO.

The question was "meego or WP7"? And the answer is "Neither"

The Following User Says Thank You to zifis For This Useful Post:
really the only hope we have is that nokia does very well with windows sl that niche products and little independent projects inside the company will have enough surplus to live off of. Super nichye things like the n810 WiMAX, lol.

hopefully the brain drain from the maemo meego harmattan tablet whatever you wanna call it team hasnt been so decimated that similar projects will never surface.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@marxian
I know you are right with my mind, but the same thing inside me that makes me appreciate and marvel LOTR books/heroes and StarWars saga is making me to not accept Maemo/Harmattan destiny without even a chance of a fight ;-)

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
really the only hope we have is that nokia does very well with windows sl that niche products and little independent projects inside the company will have enough surplus to live off of. Super nichye things like the n810 WiMAX, lol.
I think those days are over. Not just at Nokia, but at every major corporation. Such niche projects are no longer deemed to be economically viable. Welcome to the new economic reality. Sucks to be us.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
It's dead. Whether or not the N9 is outselling WP is neither here nor there. Nobody outside of Nokia has the real figure, and even the most optimistic number is still very low when compared to the more relevant competition (iOS and Android devices). Maybe Commodore 64 outsold ZX Spectrum last quarter, but nobody cares.
Maybe nobody cares but equally few care about what OS is on their phone. Even if you bought a bunch of apps, they're $5 each.

Anyone can take marketshare if the phone is sexy enough and easy-to-use.

am pretty convinced that harmattan for high end phones and symbian for low end phones mixed with QT would of made one hell of a combination, and got people talking, but then Nokia decides to kill Harmattan the minute its released...

Originally Posted by _David_ View Post
Maybe nobody cares but equally few care about what OS is on their phone. Even if you bought a bunch of apps, they're $5 each.

Anyone can take marketshare if the phone is sexy enough and easy-to-use.
I don't see how that is relevant to the point that I was making, which is that MeeGo-Harmattan is dead, regardless of how well the N9 sells vs WP devices.

Of course most smartphone buyers do not care which platform their device runs. However, they do care about availability of the applications/services that they are used to having, and MeeGo-Harmattan fails in this department because Nokia basically put up a big sign saying 'DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH MEEGO-HARMATTAN'.

Also, the market for shiny smartphones is already oversaturated, which is why I think it was a mistake for Nokia to jump on the iClone bandwagon.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:

Tags
harmattan, meego, n9 kills lumia