Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
I wonder if N9 is supporting this codec? Couldn't find it listed on Nokia web site.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
I've been wondering too. Found this *cough*bugmenot*cough*, which does not list the N9. So I opened a ticket for it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
I believe you can see which codecs are supported by looking at /etc/stream-engine/gstcodecs.conf. And it appears that AMR-WB is not supported.

The Following User Says Thank You to uber For This Useful Post:
@uber
Thank you, I looked in the wrong place for supported codecs actually. Anyway we are not lucky to be able to test HD voice benefits with N9...

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
I wonder if gstreamer is used at all for circuit-switched voice. Most of the codecs in gstcodecs.conf can't be used for normal voice calls anyway. OTOH, the N9 doesn't support GSM 06.10 encoded media files (ticket), but this codec must be supported for voice calls, I guess. So I believe gstreamer is of no concern for voice calls. But that's just really me guessing here...

However, the N9 should support AMR-WB for playback of audio/video files. It says so in the spec sheet. If not, it would be a true bug.

Let's hope the ticket doesn't get the silent treatment. Even if my current network refuses to support AMR-WB (probably because they've advertised the iPhone a lot, which doesn't support AMR-WB) I'm not too happy that a high-end mobile like the N9 has sub-par quality even compared to older and mid-range Symbians and WP.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
@Fuzzillogic
Thanks man! My operator started Voice HD for free past year, but I have not been able to test. Lets hope that we get an answer from Nokia to the bug report you opened!

EDIT: Thanks to your ticket bug was "assigned" minute ago, whatever that means. :-)

Last edited by zlatko; 2012-02-02 at 09:02.

I've sent an e-mail to nokia-support to ask for HD-Voice support in the future.

The first response was that she does not know if the N9 will get support in any future firmware but she will talk to the dev-team and will send me the answer.

Some days late, she sent me a second e-mail with the surprising answer, after she having talked to the dev-team the N9 already supports HD-Voice assumed the network supports it.

Can anyone confirm this statement? My operator didn't support HD at the moment but I will change the operator if the N9 supports HD-Voice :-)

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Denmark :D
I remember I asked the same question to Nokia Denmark before the N9 came out and they said no :/

Now i'm confused.. Mobil.nu (danish mobile site) and Mobilsiden (biggest danish mobile site) says that N9 HAS HD voice.. I think I will contact Nokia Denmark again CONTACTED

http://www.mobil.nu/mobile/nyheder/t...-1.500385.html
http://www.mobilsiden.dk/tips/hvilke...ice,lid.17209/

Last edited by ZiiimZooon; 2012-06-18 at 22:03.

I wonder if they haven't mixed it up with AMR-WB-support in .wav files and what not, as is listed in the official N9 spec sheet. If the N9 actually does support AMR-WB for voice, why haven't they responded to it in the ticket? Also, I just rechecked, but in the list of November 2011 the GSA the N9 isn't listed. Mobilsiden mentions a list of June 2011, so that might be a difference, but then why is it removed from the November-list?

But perhaps the best answer would be "HD-voice is supported in PR1.3", which would explain everything

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
N9 does not support wideband audio (i.e. AMR-WB, "HD audio") on cellular voice calls. When considering the current state of Harmattan, it is obvious that it will never get the support, even though it would be only a matter of software implementation (Cellular modem & Pulseaudio). It's a pity, I know!

GStreamer AMR-WB codec has noting to do with calls, because call audio coding is done on Cellular modem chip anyway, while Pulseaudio is providing raw (downsampled 8 kHz PCM) audio to it from the CPU side.

Apparently the support people have mixed up things. AMR-WB is supported for playback, not for calls.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kallela For This Useful Post: