I sure hope that I can stream Sirius radio via the internet with the new firmware/software. That would be ideal for me.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Anyway, I think you guys will be VERY pleased at what's in development.
If it's just firmware, then sure, but if "development" implies a new device (again), then I will most definitely not be pleased.

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
If it's just firmware, then sure, but if "development" implies a new device (again), then I will most definitely not be pleased.
It's as if i said that

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by BlogrQ View Post
It's as if i said that
Me too let's wait for it, it is definitely less then 2 weeks.

but if "development" implies a new device (again), then I will most definitely not be pleased.
Why not? There are always newer devices/UMPC/phones/PDA coming out , isn't it good that the platform keeps developing?

I want more software features, but also better hardware. So I'm very pleased that there is a new model Internet Tablet coming :-)

I bought the 770 and a year later the N800, and I probably will be buying a next IT when they release it (if it provides some more features that I would like)
The 770 is currently my IRC client, and the N800 will probably become my home skype phone when I get the next tablet.

features I would like:
-faster processor
-3D accelerated UI
-qwerty keyboard
-proper divx Video playback
-better quality touchscreen (it should be more durable)
-better battery life
-wimax support
-even better browser with plugin support for flash 9 and WMV
-X86 processor could be helpfull for support in applications (but probably kills battery life)
-UI with FULL finger optimalisation
-handwriting recognition that works
-better email and RSS client
-Skype and a small MSN client
-an easier API for building apps using python (like the one for S60 )
-a slide cover like the Nokia 770 had

There is a lot of room for improvement, but the current tablet is still very useful (just like the Nokia 770 is still very useful, if you don't have the N800)

BUT the MOST important thing about these tablets is that they should NOT be getting much larger or heavier. If I can't put the tablet in my pocket anymore I would rather buy a laptop.

Last edited by Bernard; 2007-06-18 at 15:49.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Bernard: There are always new PPCs/UMPCs/Smartphones coming out, yes, but they're all from different (usually large) manufacturers and have a larger developer base. The reason Internet Tablet users will be upset if it's a new device only six months after the last is because it will take the ONE development team on Internet Tablets and shuffle them off to a new product already.

That burned a lot of 770 owners as they will not be getting firmware improvements (only bugfixes - and much slower (as per my conversations with Nokia))

I hope it's a new firmware and bevy of accessories.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I doubt it; the only things that could make me VERY pleased are a complete overhaul of the user interface according to Sean Luke's guidelines and a straight port of PenOffice (or Calligrapher at the very least) to the N800.

Other things could make me MODERATELY pleased, but never VERY.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Northeast USA
Tex's cryptic comment is quite comforting... I got my n800 about 3 weeks ago, after lurking on this forum for a while... and I have to say, I am extremely pleased with the device, this is so close to the ideal for me. I know I will be happy if its either a firmware update or a new device announcement...

In the way of firmware I am hoping mainly for a more robust surfing experience (read flash 9 and wmv support) I'd also like to see video call integration with more mainstream protocols (read skype, ichat/aol video conferenceing etc.)

as for a new device, faster CPU, qwerty keyboard, more pixels, better camera... USB charging! etc. I would have to agree with previously expressed sentiments about not wanting the device to get much larger... it really is the perfect size...

I am wondering how strongly people feel about the iminent release though... I've seen a number of new phone announcements from nokia in the past weeks and am wondering if anything is imminently forthcoming or if we'll have to wait until much later in the year....

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I hope you mean the fabled Nokia Case!

Better and more polished versions of the existing software is what Nokia need to deliver, not another device (at least not just yet - give the current one an 18-month+ lifespan, enough time to get the Case out...!)

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-06-18 at 18:10.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
features I would like:
-faster processor
-3D accelerated UI
-qwerty keyboard
-proper divx Video playback
-better quality touchscreen (it should be more durable)
-better battery life
-wimax support
-even better browser with plugin support for flash 9 and WMV
-X86 processor could be helpfull for support in applications (but probably kills battery life)
-UI with FULL finger optimalisation
-handwriting recognition that works
-better email and RSS client
-Skype and a small MSN client
-an easier API for building apps using python (like the one for S60 )
-a slide cover like the Nokia 770 had

Buy a laptop. Most of the stuff you are asking for is pretty much unrealistic without bumping the price up enough that you might as well just buy a laptop.