Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
gently remove top and bottom plastic pads and unscrew some screws
Yeah, I also had to change the port on mine twice.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Also there was a chinese site with step by step instructions and pictures.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Strangely, I can't see any loose connections when wiggling the cable (although the connection does get dropped when the cable is in certain positions). I'm wondering if this could be a software issue as well as a hardware issue, as in it's not keeping track of the actual charge correctly. I managed to really quickly charge it from 30% to 90+%, had dinner, came back to the charging tablet, and suddenly the charge was way down to 54% again, and going down fast. The device doesn't heat up, either, so it probably isn't caused by the CPUs going berserk. I'll order a new charging port regardless, but the way it's looking right now, I don't know if it'll solve anything.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Yeah, I also had to change the port on mine twice.
Did you have issues similar to what I described above? I really hope it's just this one component that's broken.

Originally Posted by feedme View Post
Remove SD card!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for mentioning this. Luckily I don't have an SD card inserted with 64GB of storage already there, but I would absolutely have forgotten all about it if I did.

The Following User Says Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Yeah, it was charging only in certain positions and if force was applied for instance from below. Finally I was fed up with it, opened it, then brought it in a service center to solder a new port (didn't want to leave the opening to them. Same thing after an year.

Mine broke twice as my kids use it from time to time.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Yeah, it was charging only in certain positions and if force was applied for instance from below. Finally I was fed up with it, opened it, then brought it in a service center to solder a new port (didn't want to leave the opening to them. Same thing after an year.

Mine broke twice as my kids use it from time to time.
Thank you! I'll make sure to replace it, then.

Un-be-lie-va-ble. I got the port replaced not even a month ago and it's broken again already. It always claims it's charging, but it never actually charges. I even made sure to be as gentle as possible whenever I had to plug it in the past couple of weeks! At least this time the current doesn't flow the wrong way, it just doesn't charge even though it knows it's plugged in. What a horrifyingly badly designed port!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Come to think of it, would it technically be possible to install a different port (as in USB-C, or mini-USB, or whatever) instead of the horrible micro-USB port? I find conflicting statements when trying to look this up, so I assume it isn't possible, but I'd still like to know for sure.

Just to make it clear, I don't care one bit about the actual USB connectivity as I access the filesystem wirelessly anyway, all I'd want to work is the charging aspect. I wouldn't mind cutting a slightly larger hole in the plastic at all if it meant I'd get a more solid connection that wouldn't cost me a fortune having to replace it every other week.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Depends totally on the component layout, if you find an usb-c connector with same or nearly same trace layout then I suppose there is no reason it shouldn't work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
the best you can do is to solder cable instead of port

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Depends totally on the component layout, if you find an usb-c connector with same or nearly same trace layout then I suppose there is no reason it shouldn't work.
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
the best you can do is to solder cable instead of port
Thanks, guys. I'll look into both options.