Active Topics

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
The whole point being that it would be nice if Jolla could actually tell us which it is.
yeah ... soon! .... maybe very soon... maybe not.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by txus View Post
Did you get all the money back? All 299 from the phone, 100 from the preorder and the 15 from shipping? I asked then through care@jolla.com 3 days ago, and still no answer to a fairly simple question.
You are NOT supposed to get the 100EUR back. That has been stated in the preorder FAQ's all along. For those 100EUR you got a t-shirt and a voucher to be used by 06/2014 for Jolla products.

It'd be too easy to pay 100EUR, get a free t-shirt and get the 100EUR check refunded.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
The whole point being that it would be nice if Jolla could actually tell us which it is.
It's an 8930AA.

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
You are NOT supposed to get the 100EUR back. That has been stated in the preorder FAQ's all along. For those 100EUR you got a t-shirt and a voucher to be used by 06/2014 for Jolla products.

It'd be too easy to pay 100EUR, get a free t-shirt and get the 100EUR check refunded.
Haha, he cancelled the order and got a 100EUR t-shirt with the name of a phone he doesn't have....fail.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
FWIW, I'll wait. Everybody can do whatever they want with their money, I won't respect that because it's a given.

It'll be nice if it comes by xmas, if it doesn't, it'll be nice to have it later. Software updates will be nice too. This is probably the first time I pay for a phone purely to support a company.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
Personally I regard this as whining over details when so much else cool stuff is to expect.
Indeed it is whining. I am disapointed as a little child, who finds out that Santa itsn't real.

I am also sure that Jolla will give the community a very good phone, but this hardcore community cannot even find out which CPU the phones has. That is not open source mentality and support to the community - who they strongly need for The Other Half products and native software.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post

Sorry for offtopic, but... EASY?? First, you DO remember how much we have waited, right? Second, you DO realize how much 100 euro from a few thousand people have helped them reach the hopefully self-sustaining situation where they are now, right? And BTW, those T-shirts have probably cost about 10-20 € tops buying them single. Imagine after ordering a few thousand.

OK, sorry for the rant. Back on topic... No, I haven't cancelled. I'll be passing it on to someone outside the supported countries.

The Following User Says Thank You to txus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
Haha, he cancelled the order and got a 100EUR t-shirt with the name of a phone he doesn't have....fail.
Yes, fail is a good way to put it.

A little like saying you are supporting an open source company - which itsn't really open.

Does anyone know how much Jolla is supporting Mer upstream?

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I've not cancelled and have no intention to but waiting with only a vague 3-4 weeks deadline is frustrating. I'm hoping Jolla are being pessimistic with those deadlines due to the time of year.

When I do get it, I can't imagine I'll be using it as my main/only phone for a while either and I'll expect to be sim-swapping with my N9 for a bit longer. I'm resigned to that.

The pain points for me are CalDAV support, SIP and Skype which are all supported on the N9 and I use them regularly. I'm a bit let down that there's no CalDAV, CardDAV (hoping to ditch Google & MfE!) & SIP out of the box. Skype less so. I was expecting to have at least the same functionality as from the N9 and hoped for CardDAV.

I use Nokia Drive a lot too in the car so I'm nervous to see how the maps app works though I've a pile of Nokias that I can keep in the car for that duty.

It seems a bit like 3 steps forward and 2 steps back in some ways so I hope we get news from Jolla as to when those fundamental protocols from the N9 get added back or how 3rd party developers can add them. I don't expect a roadmap with complete feature lists and dates but they can't surely expect to call themselves a community if there's not some visibility in forthcoming release features.

It's like watching a small child on a bicycle that's just had the stabilisers removed. I'm proud they're upright and making forward progress but nervous they'll crash or decide that football is easier than cycling and I'll end up with a couch-potato football fan rather than Bradley Wiggins.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
I didn't pre order, but was still expecting to be able to buy the thing by now!

Even if they said the online shop would be open in January it would be a start.
I thought 'soon' was a trademark of blackberry!