I have n810 and am kind of enjoying the built in keyboard.. well at least I am getting used to it

Anyway the extremely annoying thing now is that whenever I start typing, this thick useless bar pops up at the bottom of the screen that says 'abc' in the rightmost position.

this bar serves absolutely no purpose other than wasting precious vertical space of screen.

I understand that sometimes it might be useful, for example for symbol input or when using pen input methods (I didn't do it so far though) but when I'm just typing someting into a text field it's basically useless.

There is an application that has some features removed because of this bar, namely them 'mc' console program lacks bottom buttons in file viewing mode.

So I wish to be able to delete this bar somehow and maybe to have a way to bring it back for unaccessible symbol entry.

I have tried to kill hildon-input-method process and this removed the bar, however it keeps re-appearing so probably some other process keeps starting it.

I also have skimmed through control panel and have not found any setting to disable it.

So is there way to get rid if it?

Oh and I am using Diablo OS - have installed it right after getting the tablet.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Turn off word completion in language input settings. Sadly that disables it for virtual keyboard too. Also shift+space turns it off but has side effect of enabling virtual keyboard when you click on input field. Works like this on Chinook at least.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
If you want to turn off the onscreen keyboard you need this:

/etc/osso-af-init/keyboard.sh stop

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coffeedrinker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Southern New Jersey
Personally my spelling is so horrible I welcome the corrections!

I noticed that bar at first as well and wondered what all that space was being taken up for.

shift+space works on diablo in n810 thanks fanoush and it is reversible- when i need the on screen key- just do it again shift+space

very cool these tips should go into the wiki

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by prk60091 View Post
shift+space works on diablo in n810 thanks fanoush and it is reversible- when i need the on screen key- just do it again shift+space

very cool these tips should go into the wiki
I noticed that shift+space still adds a space in the input (under Diablo, N810). Is this the correct behaviour?

it's not a blank bar that's completely useless. do you not notice the auto complete words that come up in that bar when you're typing? if you're typing a longer word it can come in handy. or you can just turn auto complete off like fanoush said.