It is definitely a manufacturer's defect. I have applied a small bead of Loctite along the crack to hopefully prevent it from spreading. I will see how it goes and maybe buff it smooth. This is a DEFINITE mass defect.

Mark

yeah just noticed that mine started cracking too
from the power jack to the usb socket all the way to the headphone jack.

I hardly ever take the case off, but when I did, I notice mine is chipped and there's a big hole on the side behind the microphone. You can barely see it with the case on, but I've been using without the case more now with the thumb keyboard. It fits better in my hand without the case. Now I do have a 2 year compUSA warranty plan. I wonder if I should exercise my right and trade in?

There goes my 770. 6 months of use, and the first crack appeared about a week ago. The crack has already grown a bit, and it seems like a part of the plastic will be chipping off soon.

My device has been handled very carefully as well. Annoying.

my nokia too has a crack in the bottom near the power plug
but you cannot see it without a magnifiying glass... it just looks like a thin hair is there.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Nantes (France)
I've noticed the crack too: from the headset hole to the USB port. It has appeared last week...
...after having installed the ITOS2006 beta... but I'm quite sure this has nothing to see with ;-)

Greetings:
Looks like you can add me to the cracked Nokia case thread. I have had mine for less than 3 months and it has the crack running from the USB port to the earphone jack hole. I pride myself in keeping my equipment like new. It is really not distracting, or noticeable; however my concern is whether or not should something else happen to my 770, will Nokia honor the warranty.

Robert

Wasn't there yesterday but is there today. From the USB port across to the headphone jack just like everyone else.

I own a MGB sports car and they are notorious for developing a crack in the door under where the quarter light window seals up against the windscreen pillar.

It's known as the "Crack of Doom".

Seems Nokia also have a Crack Of Doom manufacturing problem themselves!

When you give it a name like "the crack of doom" maybe Nokia will do something. Since it's just a separate piece, maybe nokia can ship us an improved piece and we can snap a new one on.